Sunday 12 January 2020

From JonathanO - Roman Dromedarii


I was late arriving to begin my exploration of Challenge Island.  My starting point was to be a place now known as Docherty's Dock.  I had already received reports from other explorers of amazing encounters with beings from the past, the future and even from other worlds.  Here is a report of my first adventure.



Shortly after landing at the dock, I headed inland.  Part of my route took me through an area of  desert.  On the way I stopped for refreshments at a village.  There I was amazed to meet a group of Imperial Roman dromedary mounted infantry!












They were clearly expecting trouble as they wore armour and carried their shields.  The section was led by Legate Doccatus (dressed as a regular to hide his rank while traveling), assisted by Optio Millsi.  Doccatus claimed to be on a (not so secret) mission for the Emperor's spy master.  It must have been an important assignment for him to leave his legion.  Doccatus clearly had significant funds available as he had already arranged for the dock to be upgraded and then named after himself.  Doccatus said he would be investigating the "suspect record keeping and tax collecting" of a local official called Milus Mathematicus.  "I am going to Docc' him a few points", he laughed.  Millsi rolled his eyes.

Doccatus and Millsi


Optio Millsi, who was an efficient organiser and clearly critical to the mission, told me that he hoped to return to a legion and have his promotion to the rank of Centurion confirmed.  However, for now he was enjoying the warm weather in this region and certainly had no desire to be sent to a legion in the north of the Empire.  "There is another revolt in Britannia", he said.  "They have appointed their own emperor and plan to exit from the Roman Empire - they say they need to take control for themselves.  That trouble could go on for a long time".  I just nodded in agreement.

As we parted to continue our own journeys, Legate Doccatus whispered to me that Optio Millsi was so useful that "I am going to make sure he is assigned to my staff for a very long time".




My next stop on the Path of the Forgotten will be at Cooke's Crevasse.



_______

These are 15mm Early 2nd Century Imperial Roman Dromedarii from the Forged in Battle "War and Empire" range.  The buildings are from the resin Eastern Village set from the same range.



For points I suggest the following (all subject to the judgement of the Minion of the day):
8  x 15mm mounted figures at 4 points = 32
15mm buildings  (under half a cube)     =  8  (max?)
Visit to Docherty's Dock - Camels!     =  30
Bonus for including our two heroes     =   5

Total points                                          =  75

Well I am finally off the mark, but with some catching up to do.  Lots of figures are prepared and quite a few are already well underway as regards painting.

From MilesR: I love the minis and actually have painted up Roman and Sassanid armies from the same lines and have a Byzantine and Arab army to be painted (kickstarters are terrible things).  I also loved the backstory, will I did until it veered into false accusations and slander!  "suspect record keeping and tax collecting" of a local official called Milus Mathematicus", indeed.  You, sir, shall be hearing from my law firm - the venerable Dewy, Cheetum & Howe.  As for your pointage, well lets see here:

8 Mounted 15mm figures should be 32 but lets add an additional point, cause camels are big fo 5 pers or 40 points
Village pieces - lets round up to 10
Visit to Docherty's Dock is 30
Including of heroes 5

Base Total       85
Local Tax Assessment for slander -5
     (It seems Milus Mathematiucus has a tax for everything)

Net 80 points



27 comments:

  1. Nice work Jonathan, I like those camel jockeys, and might be tempted to check that range out my self. Great story and really nice to see a Millsi appearance. Don’t mess with the tax master!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. There are lots of great choices in the War and Empire range.

      Delete
  2. Don't mess with Milus Mathematicus - if you do, he may subject you to some of the same "Selfies" that we minions are forced to endure when working on The Spreadsheet of Doom ;)

    Nice work on thee Dromedarii, Jonathan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Are there any perks to being a minion?

      Delete
  3. Ha ha, thanks Miles. The Forged in Battle range is very nice (and large). I earned more than I thought and paid more tax - it should be everyone's ambition. I was obviously misinformed about Milus Mathematicus on my travels. He is clearly a generous benefactor who is being unfairly maligned by jealous challengers who do not understand the multiplier effect and other economic benefits that he brings. Tax the rich and spend the proceeds with hard working miniature manufactures - a better use of public funds than some we could think of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent, great to see our heroes ride again. Nice camels too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fabulous entry for Docherty's Dock, great story and wonderful figures - well done Jonathan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, I am glad to have some points on the scoreboard.

      Delete
  6. Ooooh! I want a unit like that!!!! I will need to convince Richard Clarke to do some camel-cvalary optional rules for the Infamy! Infamy! set currently in playteting process

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we must have camel units, but no delays in the rules release date!

      Delete
  7. Nice looking camel unit!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are awesome Jonathan and the story to go along with them is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Scott. Thanks for the loan of the mat and dune for the pictures.

      Delete
  9. I actually had not realized that these are 15mm figures until I read the description at the end... Great figures and great painting, and I really enjoyed the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed it, thanks! They really are better detailed than lots of 28mm figures.

      Delete
  10. Romans! Romans! Romans! Romans on camels! SO COOL. Great work, I really enjoyed this entry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There may be some more Romans from this range in a later post.

      Delete
  11. A fine looking unit of camels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stuart. I really enjoyed painting them.

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many camels this Challenge!

    ReplyDelete