Monday 17 February 2020

From IannickM : Emperor's Children at Burch's Bluff (70 Points)

My next stop on the island was an easy choice, and so I make camp in Burch's Bluff. Two years ago I started an Emperor Children's force for Epic, and it's about damn time I get back to that project. Obviously Burch's Bluff helped a little, but of even more incentive is the fact JohnM and I are planning our first game of Epic for Mid-March in Montreal. And there's nothing that will motivate you as much as a game coming! While my force has a good choice of armour and support detachments, I was sorely missing in the infantry department. Because while I really enjoy painting the little guys, basing them is a bit of a chore so I've been procrastinating. But no more, It was more than time to address that shortcoming!

I really enjoy the Horus Heresy, and, like so often in my case, my love is rooted in nostalgia. Long before I learned about 40K, me and my brother bought Space Marines, the original game, and we played quite a few games using the original (unpainted, the shame) plastic figures. My brother played the loyalist, I was the traitor. To this day painting brightly coloured mini-tanks is a load of fun! 

And so my Emperor's Children force grows in the anticipation of the can of whoop ass the marines of the 3rd legion are about to open on their Blood Angels brothers. May Horus have mercy on their souls. 





First up, a Line Detachment of Assault Marines equipped with jump packs, in mark III armours. The Horus Heresy Legion Astartes (i.e. Space Marines) army lists require rather large, 8 bases detachments. Bit more work to get your infantry units ready but it does look good.



Then a command base, which includes all your favourites like chaplains, champions, etc. Its a useful figure to represent the "centurion" upgrade one may purchase for his infantry detachments.



And the "piece de résistance", the all-important elites of the Marine infantry, the Cataphractii Terminators. With their ability to teleport all over the battlefield, they can make for a nasty surprise! Great figures (fan made) with loads of details for such tiny figures! I went the extra mile and painted a rather fat detachment, with the maximum allowed units of 6. 

I'm back on the Epic train (choo choo), so expect more Epic Heresy before the challenge is over, and even a first peek at the loyalist side of my project, with THE loyalists amongst all loyalists, you guessed it, the boys clad in blue, the Ultramarines. 

So...
  • 45 Epic space marines : 22.5 points
  • 30 Epic terminators : (are they still only worth 0.5 points? I guess so. I feel they should be worth more ;-) ) : 15 points
  • Plus the points for Burch's Bluff : 30pts
Total : 67.5 points

Next up, probably a balloon ride, and then more Heresy.

***

Fantastic work Iannick! These figures look outstanding, you have done some tremendous work here.  You also remind me of my own shameful neglect of my assorted ongoing Horus Heresy and, more specifically, Epic 30k projects. I've just been so focused on other areas...the Challenge still has some time, perhaps there is still time to get more 30k stuff finished?

These will help with inspiration! And I hope you guys really enjoy your game - "Epic" is a fantastic set of rules.  We look forward to seeing more as you proceed! 

Your scoring is accurate, but given the favour of the Warmaster, we shall round up the points to 70.  After all, only the weakling "Emperor" has the need for decimal points...

GregB

13 comments:

  1. Great looking army! Where did you get the models?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fan made. They pop here and there on Facebook trade groups.

      Delete
  2. Very fine work on these teeny tiny Emperors Children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking mini chaos marines!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice stuff, Slaanesh will be pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific work on these wee Heretics, Iannick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tiny but wonderful to look at! Very nice!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for the comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That purple really pops, very good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I missed these Iannick, but now you have given me a clue re what your 2000 pt force might be composed of.

    ReplyDelete