Tuesday 4 February 2020

From MartinN: Benito's Brook - Hans! Hände hoch! (60 ponts)

A last stand you say? Well, if there’s been one iconic last stand in WW2 than it must clearly have been the Battle for Arnhem during Operations Market and Garden. Of course there were others too but this one instantly sprang to mind and coincidentally I'm slowly collecting a force of Paratroopers for it.

Paras on their way to the bridge
It took me a while to finally finish the figures for this location as (rather unusually for me) I simply couldn’t stay focused. I'm used to jump between projects but it's usually only when I've finished a unit that I start on something different. At the moment however I'm pretty much focused on WW2 (as always) but can't, for the life of me, seem to finish a whole unit. So instead of waiting I decided these 5 figures should suffice.


The three British Airborne are Warlord Games Metals while the two SS actually are DAK casualties by Artizan Designs. Given a period appropriate Erbsentarn camouflage they fit perfectly for Arnhem in late '44. At the moment I'm not yet decided if I stick with Artizan DAK for the SS or if I'll use some other manufacturer.


Speaking of the Waffen-SS, it has caused me some headaches but I've finally decided to not use regular Heer as stand ins but collect a dedicated force exclusively for Market Garden. My personal misgivings about the SS aside it somehow didn’t feel right to 'change' history just because I'm not comfortable with one of the forces involved.
Either do it proper or don't do it at all! But one thing is certain, these will be no StG'44 toting Uber-Soldiers.


The prone casualty figure instantly reminded me of the picture below and originally this was the scene I wanted to recreate. Needless to say I didn’t pull it through as the whole bridge and stuff seemed a little too intimidating even if compressed a little.


Haven’t quite finished the basing yet, but for the moment it should do. Need to order me some new tufts first.
4 full and a prone figure should give me 22.5 points plus 30 points for Benito's Brook, so 52.5 points in total.

By Paul
That is amazing brushwork Martin - just stunning. Its going to be quite the show watching you put together a dedicated SS force for Arnhem.

For the amazing camo schemes and detail on these (love the red and white polka dot neckerchief) I'm awarding bonus points to bring this submission up to 60 points 

16 comments:

  1. Fantastic entry!! Exactly what I had in mind when asked to design the theme of this spot in Challenge Island

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, 'wow' is right. As discussed with your preliminary work on these on Twitter, your take on the German pea dot camo is absolutely fantastic. Like you, I'm a little put off by the hobby's unending enthusiasm for the Waffen SS, but in light of history they are really little different than other ethno/religious/political fanatics that we see on the tabletop (Bashi-Bazouks, Crusaders, Chetniks, etc.). The way I see it you can't ignore them, but they don't need to be glorified beyond their military abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful entry. These are exceptionally well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant work Nick :)

    I agree with your POV on fielding SS troops. It's historically accurate, even if distasteful. As Curt says, use them but don't glamorise them [I'm sure you never would].

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lovely bit of painting there, Nick - camo is especially fine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your brush work is top-shelf as always Nick, setting the standard. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work on these figures, the details are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous painting as always!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Photos look as though they are from the front cover of a wargame magazine - Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant camo. First class paint job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are fantastic, look forwards to seeing more of the same.
    As to playing the SS, I usually try to wear one of my "Celebrating the defeat of fascism" t-shirts from https://www.philosophyfootball.com/ while doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are lovely - such wonderful detail.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That some really stunning work Nick!! Really like the scene you set!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really nice work. Words don't suffice.

    ReplyDelete