Friday 7 February 2020

From PeteF at Piper's Peak: Snow Troll (45 points)

Piper's Peek/Peak/Pique put me in mind of the mountains, the Northern Alliance and their snow trolls - who also stand a good chance of being irritable, or piqued.



The Kings of War 2 Player starter set has models for two very different factions. I've already started on the Nightstalkers, horrific creatures from your worst nightmares. This is my first Northern Alliance mini. The Northern Alliance contains many races - including elves, dorfs, humans who look suspiciously like the Free Folk on Game of Thrones and trolls - all with an icy theme.



This snow troll has a colour scheme quite close to the official one - blue skin, white fur. I used colour shift paints (from Turbo Dork) for the metals and had to ask someone for help in choosing the loin cloth colour. Fantasy figures give me all sorts of colour choice problems - no Osprey book with the official uniforms. I ended up texting a designer friend of my wife, who used to teach colour theory.  Orange came back the answer so I tried it. It didn't come out as, er, orangey as I'd hoped. I might also come back with an orange colour shift and use it on some parts of the shoulder guards. The club is supposed to be stone with ice chips in it.



The troll is on a magnetized base in case I need to put him together on a metal tray with 2 more to make a regiment of trolls or 5 more to make a horde. On his own I think he can be used as a troll hero in Kings of War - or in Mantic's skirmish game: Vanguard (have the rules but no time to take on another game or friends that want to try it).



The troll was fun to paint - I find the larger figures quite challenging compared with 28mm  - I wish back in November I'd scraped off  all of the mold lines (he's made of that vynl-plasticy stuff) and hope the bits I missed don't show too badly. Mantic have come out with a ton of new models and some of them are quite nice, especially if you like the hunchback/head-halfway-down-the-body aesthetic.



The troll is around 60mm tall and is sitting on a 40x40 base so I thin k is worth around 10 points plus 30 for a new area explored.


Brrrrr! So cold! That's some lovely work on this snow troll Pete. I've scored him as a 40mm cavalry figure, which gives you some extra points; he's a big, chunky chap after all!

TamsinP











12 comments:

  1. Whoa that’s an imposing brute Pete. Well done. Love the colour shifting paints. I chuckled over the “no Ospreys with official uniform colours” problem, think of fantasy figures as being freeing and allowing you to exercise artistic license and freedom of expression.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Pete.
    Plus - I just love that there is something out there called "Turbo Dork".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the relevant Osprey is actually OOP: "Trolls and Ogres of the Frozen Peaks, 1230-1896". I believe there's some debate about the authenticity of the plates, however, as the author's introduction mentions something about "magic mushrooms" and sleep deprivation experiments. Probably with the success of Frostgrave Osprey will be planning a revised edition real soon now.
    Excellent painting - convincingly chill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Made me chuckle. Mainly because the ogres had left the area by the early 19th century.

      Delete
    2. As it's an Osprey there will be a Ogre medical attendant and an Ogre drummer, plus another with a slightly different Ogre drummer. Plus an Ogre from the 147th Ogre Jaegers that only existed for three days in January 1642. But not many plates with Ogre rank and file.

      Delete
  4. Lovely cold looking troll! There probably is an osprey but it's out of print!(he grumbled)
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great use of spot colours, it really breaks up the white fur!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sander. I think I'm going to go back and use another one on the shoulder guard fins. Bright orange colour shift metallic. It feels too blue top heavy now that I look at the pictures. Fantasy is challenging.

      Delete
  6. Imposing fellow there! Well done, Pete, that's a troll to be proud of!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The orange was a good choice.

    ReplyDelete