Monday 24 February 2020

From SanderS: These are not the Sand Troopers you're looking for! - (71 points)

Hoi,

What's this Sander? Are you actually going to paint Star Wars Legion troops? Have you started another project? The answer is no, the figures presented here are part of a commission I took following the Crisis Protocol post. Remember that I painted those figures for our FLGS owner? Well one of his customers noticed them and asked for my contact information and well, the rest as they say is history from a long time ago and a Galaxy far far away...


My client has just about any set from wave 1 and quite a lot of wave 2 as well. I am to paint the Imperial side and all different squads (Storm-, Snow and Scout Troopers) are to be done as if ready for a desert environment (Tatooine anyone?)

What I did to make them more gritty and wheathered is I coated them Zandhri Dust, build the layers of armour up as follows:
- base coat
- Valejo Dark Sand
- Gryphone Wash (GW)
- Valejo Dark Sand
- Army Painter Arid Earth
- Valejo White
All the while making sure that lines of the basecoat kept peeping through, I really like the result.







The Dewback is a whole other story... I cannot remember how many layers of green I used nor how many washes, but it was huge fun painting this beast!





Quite a lot of stuff is cluttering my work desk at the moment: before I took the commission I was trying to finish my Death Watch Marines, which I am still painting alongside the Stormies. I also have my mission from the Snow Lord and have to prep stuff for that and my other Challenge Island entries are almost all prepped and ready to go except: since there's another storm going on outisde (this one is called Ellen if I am not mistaken) I can't go outside to base-coat anything... bugger!

Pointswise I think 7 x 5 points for 28mm figures is 35. The Dewback is a bit harder to count: if one takes it as a "28mm mounted figure it's 10 points, but it is rather more work and larger than a regular horse, while it isn't as big as a vehicle so I'd say 15 points? Well I'll leave that up to the administrations of our beloved Minions...

Cheers Sander


I thought that SW Legion figures were somewhat larger than 28mm, so I have taken a look back at other entries and they have been scored as 40mm figures. I've scored the Dewback and the rider separately as mounted (it's a big beast) and foot. So, lots more points that you expected!

TamsinP

14 comments:

  1. Great work Sander, that Dewback is wonderful. Never count the number of layers and washes, just admire the result and stop before you eff it up beyond repair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, that's sound advice and I will surely follow that from now on.

      Delete
  2. Lovely looking stormtroopers and mount!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the dewback, Dewd. Lovely Imperial stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dewd, there's far more yet to come, cowabunga!

      Delete
  4. Nice job, white's always tricky but you've nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, yeah white is a bugger to get right indeed. Luckily the other figures will mostly be wearing sand-coloured armour.

      Delete
  5. @Tamsin: wow! Thanks heaps for that, now that means the rest of the lot will gain me far more points then I had counted on, cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking Troopers Sander and fabulous work on that Dewback,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good work! Stormtrooper armour is always a struggle.

    ReplyDelete