Monday 24 February 2020

From BillA - New Frostgrave Warband (50 points)

First off, let me apologize for my absence - it's been a heckuva two months here.  I pinched a nerve in my back in January, and found it too painful to sit at my painting table, and basically as soon as that recovered my S/O went in and had her wisdom teeth removed, contracted an infection in the aftermath, and then contracted a second infection during the recovery from the first.  She's going to be fine, but I just haven't been able to sit down and apply paint to figures until just the last few days, where I picked back up on the half-finished figures I had from before everything went crazy.


I'd been talking to a new guy at my FLGS about Frostgrave, and the conversation inspired me to go through my leadpile and put together a fresh warband for the game.  Fortunately, I had enough Warhammer Empire figures and similar leftover from last year's foray into Mordheim to create a warband that was basically a continuation of my Averlanders warband from the other game.

A wizard (center), his apprentice (viewer's right), and a Treasure Hunter (left).

an Infantryman flanked by a pair of arqubusiers (counts as crossbowmen)

Three thugs and a warhound.
Since Thugs, in game, don't get the benefit of carrying shields, but the figures were sculpted to take shields, I dug through my bits box and came up with these flimsy-looking wooden shields from Wargames Factory's Orcs (now produced by Warlord Games).  I figure these look improvised and fragile enough to not worry about counting against the figure's stats.

The Wizard and Treasure-Hunter are part of Wargames Foundry's "Time-Warped Wizards" set, which I believe were old molds brought out and retooled in response to Frostgrave's popularity, while the Apprentice is a Cultist from Dark Fable Miniatures.  The Infantryman and Arqubusiers are classic Games Workshop metals, and the Thugs are old Citadel F2 Fighters from 1987, reissued by Wargames Foundry two years ago or so.  The warhound is a Foundry Gray Wolf.

All told, 10 28mm figures should score me 50 points.


Fantastic work Bill. Sorry to hear about the troubles which have kept you from painting over the past few weeks, but it's great to have you back in the swing of things!

TamsinP

6 comments:

  1. Great looking warband, very nice cohesive feel to them all!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking war ban Bill, glad to hear your troubles are on the way out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice warband Bill, are they from Nuln by any chance? Hope no more misfortunes come your way and all will be well again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice indeed! Lovely Empire troops indeed Bill.
    Now you're all set for for when 2nd edition hits the streets mid year

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear of all your trials and tribulations Bill! But those chaps look great. Hope all gets sorted in the end.

    ReplyDelete