Saturday 14 March 2020

From NoelW: The Road Twice Travelled : Douglas’ Shallows: (18 points)

There

and Back Again


At last, the beginning is in sight. Douglas' Shallows. Straight across the straits sits our little fleet, bobbling on the waves like foam on a cappacino*


We ourselves also wave excitedly and in virtually no time at all we’re back in the welcoming arms of our comrades, though they become surprisingly less welcome when they learn we’re almost lootless. However, we introduce them to the courtesies of Tiddles and in two shakes of a warg’s tail, our anchors are upped and our little expedition is heading home.

Ah! Home – free from badgers, balloons and Snowlords, replete with sunshine, the kisses of our loved ones and perhaps also our partners and a decent lager at last. We simply can’t wait.

Full sail ahead, matey, that away – straight for those enticing black clouds on the horizon.



---
*(Possibly a small monkey wearing jeans)

The ship is a Black Seas US frigate, the Chesapeake. 


I like the frigate models, and they don't take too much effort to paint or to rig, as long as I can find enough patience for the more fiddly aspects of the job.

A couple more details:




With this post I finish my return trip. I’ve visited every location on this island twice (and had the pleasure of Lady Sarah’s company six times en route). In a total of 40 posts, I’ve written 23,000 words, which is about a third of a novel. Tiring, or what?

Meanwhile, I’ve also been sporadically working on non-island-relevant figures, unsystematically (there’s a surprise!) and hope to complete as many as possible of them in the remaining days of the Challenge, if for no other reason than to give Martin a run for his money. They’re mainly additions to projects I’ve already written about, though there might be the odd surprise, too.

Scoring: 18 points for a single frigate
(No bonus for location, as this is my second visit here.)

From DaveD - Boing , bounce .. etc as Noel continues his revisit - or is it just emptying a very random lead mountain -lovely job lets call that 20 . 

right we are now 1076 for the day -- better ... but  must try harder come on slackers! .. 

22 comments:

  1. Congrats on your safe return Noel, you mad bugger! You've given us the word count and the ballooning count, but what about the sergeant count? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noel, your excursions will enter Challenge lore. Now take 5 days off, you deserve it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm - let me see - shall I take a 5 day rest? Or shall I finish those 120 15mm Austrians sitting on the workbench, nearly done? What do you advise, Martin?

      Delete
  3. Touring the island twice - wow - I never thought that would happen when I first dreamt this up. Crazy. Brilliant work Noel and btw that is a fabulous looking ship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy? Crazy? Is it crazy to have a notebook full of figure ideas and points totals and draft stories? Is it crazy to have two boxes and a drawer crammed with undercoated figures wondering whether there'll be an excuse somewhere on the island to get them painted? Well then, maybe I'm crazy. Maybe I am...

      Delete
  4. Nice work Noel.
    Lovely work on the Chesapeake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent work on the Chesapeake. Thanks for keeping us entertained!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I have one purpose on this earth, it's to give other people something to laugh at. (Wait a minute. Did that come out right?)

      Delete
  6. That is an impressive journey. Ships look sweeet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks - I really like the US black and white, so there'll be more ont he same lines - but not this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely looking frigate and consistently entertaining stories with it,although I feel for your NCOs!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. "NCO" - nearly competent officer?

      Delete
  9. Great ships sir. I am yet to break open my Black seas project but this is so inspiring thta I may have to move it up the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm biased, but I heartily recommend it. You can get really exciting games with only three or four ships. The plastics also paint up really well, and rigging is not as tough as it looks, once you get the idea - or you can not bother with it.

      Delete
  10. She looks amazing have to get the American fleet set for myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's probably the best looking fleet - though you will find some US players who feel the ships aren't accurate enough.

      Delete
  11. Rigging on this teeny little thing? I doff my proverbial hat to you sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Takes about an hour to rig this, once you're practised in the optimum approach - but needs sharp scissors/knife, tweezers, lots of patience and a thesaurus of expletives!

      Delete