Saturday 14 March 2020

Paul O'G Ascends the Snowlord's Peak! (475 Points!)

Followed by his goatlike sherpas, a sweating Paul reaches the plateau and calls out in a loud and mildly intoxicated voice:

"OI! Hear me oh Mighty Snowlord! I approach your mighty kingdom bearing gifts to honour your Majesty"

A mighty voice bellows back from the distance

"Oh Yeah? Go on..."

Paul empties the last dregs from his ale horn before continuing:

"Yes oh Mighty One, thrice you challenged me and thrice I answer the call!

First - your challenge to build a unit for my Mortal Gods collection. May I present a Musician with taste far gentler than my own - with his double barrelled Aulos he can inspire those who fight in your name!


Presenting a Musician who as a seperate unit in Mortal Gods provides buffing bonuses to Phalanx and Light troops alike. More importantly, last year Reilly and I had an amazing tour of ancient Greece together - we had daily competitions to be the first one to find an "Aulos dude" amongst the various friezes and artwork. So this guy is fun for me because of those memories.

-------
A voice from atop the mountain yells down:
"Well thats OK I guess, but not very inspiring and not a skull to be seen - what else have you got?"

Paul opens the next bag:
"Next I bring as thee Commanded - heavily armed beastmen - they do smell a bit gamey mind, but they will fight fiercely for you my Lord!"


Presenting an elite unit of Bestigors - heavily armoured and wielding powerful double-handed weapons.  They promise to chop their opponents to bits before lashing the bloody remnants to the herdstone.  10 Warriors and a Champion to lead them.


The Snowlord declares: "Thats more like it! And a few skulls too I see - how many?"

Paul: "A mere 20 my Lord, but there is more"

Snowlord: "More? This is indeed a bountiful offering - bring forward the last"

Paul: "I have saved the best til last your magnificence. I have slaved hard at the painting bench with these, crafting them to the best of my ability. May I present:

Kharn and the Kharnivores!


This is my new World Eaters Kill Team - long range firepower is not their speciality!


I did a lot of conversions on these boys, to give me all sorts of weapon options - from double chainswords, double chain axes, combos of both and lighting claws


And to lead them the anti-hero: infamous Kharn the Betrayer!


Snowlord: Very nice - and 64 skulls between them too! Whats that they are standing on?

Paul: That is part of my offering of Lord, the Throne of Skulls!



It boasts an impressive 226 skulls. (amusingly, I had just bought this when I ran into Barks at CanCon - it was hard to keep the inner smile from my face knowing I had this secret weapon for our side duel)

To summarise my offerings Lord, it is 23 x 28mm infantry models, one standard terrain cube, points for the map location and I do believe, My Lord, you said something about a skull bonus?

Skull-o-meter Overload: 310 Skulls!!!
(This brings my total skull count to 543 metric noggins!)

I hope that these offerings please and amuse you oh mighty Snowlord, and I await your judgement.

______________________________________________

Haha! This is just brilliant Paul - truly in the spirit of the Snow Lord's Peak Challenge!

My pocketbook had a bit of a twinge when seeing the Greek musician as I think I'm about to fall hard for this Mortal Gods malarkey, and this small chap may just be enough to finally push me over the precipice. 

Those Bestigors (as opposed to the much maligned 'Crappigors') look magnificent in all their choppy, horny, smelly glory. I anticipate many skulls will be harvested from this lot.

Finally, your oh-so-nuanced World Eaters kill team look to be the absolute bomb, erm, absolute axe? absolute Chainsword? Well, you know what I mean. And that Throne of Skulls is completely ridiculous, in a wonderful, gory sort of way. I have a sneaking suspicion that you may have humbugged poor Barks and myself with this whole Skulley McSkullface Challenge. I can only hope he'll be producing something like a Ziggurat of Skulls as a suitable response. :)

Nonetheless, I am a man of my word, so the grand total for this excellent submission, with the noggin-shattering skull bonus, will be a stonking 475 points. Geez! That's one of our larger points bomb on record and blasts you past your personal goal for this year. Methinks that with me at the helm, tossing out points like a drunken sailor, Tamsin can rest a little easier about our overall target...

As to your treasure, Paul, I'm delighted to present you with this plucky pulp adventuress painted by your good mate, the talented AlanD. 


Well done Paul you've done the Peak proud!

-Curt Actual Out

26 comments:

  1. Amazing! Congratulations Paul! One adventuress heading your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate - she will be well appreciated too!

      Delete
  2. Lovely stuff Paul! That's a stonking great points bomb as your Snowlord's Peak task. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, stupendous stonk of stuff Paul. And an amazing Sullometer count.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter - the skullometer did become a labour of love!

      Delete
  4. I think the real winner here is the Skull-o-meter.

    Very nicely done, you swine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate - I have really enjoyed our side challenge this year, it derailed all my previous plans but has been a ball!

      Delete
  5. Tremendous submission, Paul!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely stuff Paul. That is one huge pile of skulls you added.

    ReplyDelete
  7. needs more skulls i reckon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it just needs Barks skull for Paul to drink’ to his victory from.

      Delete
    2. I'm using it! It has great sentimental value!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations and thanks for all the skulls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful entry and what a lot of skulls!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you may have become a little skull obsessed my friend. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice job, the skull-o-meter must be ringing itself to ruin with all of these!

    ReplyDelete