Monday 15 February 2021

From PaulSS: [Adventurers’ Landing] Hearts of Oak (70pts)

A couple of years ago I won one of the Challenge spot prizes, a voucher for Barrage Miniatures so put to it and bought myself three of their great boats. 

Last year I entered one of the boats for the "Riedys Reef"   this year, it's another entry for Adventurers’ Landing.


Adventurers’ Landing: A chance to paint a landing on a home or foreign shore to collect some points. Try not to get your feet wet...

The crew are from the Brigade Games and I added the option for Oars & Oar Locks to save me the fuss of building my own.


The dunnage is a separate piece that can be stowed fore or aft and is made from a few spares from the bit's box, there is even a bin from a T-34 in there. I covered it in a piece of napkin soaked in PVA to represent some old sail-cloth.

As it's removeable I also have the option of adding a cannon or mortar to make it into a gun boat as part of some harbour defenses.


Like all the Brigade Games Napoleonics they are full of character and I really enjoyed painting them up. The starboard-aft fellow's bare arms are perfect for a fouled anchor tattoo.


The Lieutenant and Midshipman are also from Brigade Games, I did think about doing "deck" bases for them, but in the end decided on my usual scatter as they are most likely going to be deployed on my standard terrain.


Six 28mm figures plus a boat (vehicle?) and the location bonus will add 70 points to my target.

28mm Napoleonics Duel Totalizer: 26 mounted, 99 foot, 3 guns, 1 boat.



That's a jolly nice boat Paul and the crew look great. I'm pretty sure the ratings won't be too happy about having to clean out all the soil and grass the officers have brought aboard though!

Tamsin

(yes, the "jolly" was deliberate)

26 comments:

  1. Great work on these Paul! Both, boat and crew are very well painted!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great but unusual Napoleonic post .... reminds me of "Hornblower"!

    Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the check shirt- those commanders are straight from Master & Commander!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THis is great, I have some Barrage boats, challenge prize, and they are a good piece of work

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smashing stuff. Makes me want to watch Hornblower all over again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As Jez and Millsy have mentioned: this so much resembles any scene from Hornblower, you know you've done a good job if all of us get that association! Awesome stuff and very versatile at that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great detour on Napoleonic's. Very well done and many adventures pop to mind.
    BruceR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bruce, I'll just need to find an excuse to include it in my games now

      Delete
  8. Terrific looking long boat and crew! Like this a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work Paul. I like the fellow with the chequed shirt. Makes me want to read a Aubrey-Maturin book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, I left my O'Briens in the UK when I moved to the US. I plan to reacquaint myself with them later this year.

      Delete
  10. Splendid looking jolly boat!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. A fine looking boat and crew Paul!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous work Paul! I can very well imagine your fancy-pants officers commandeering the boat and crew to ferry their personal stock of Brandy and other contrabands about. Poor sods on the oars though. Just four of them for such a big craft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nick, it's the Royal Navy so may be Rum instead of Brandy ;)

      Delete
  13. Brilliant boat and crew, lovely 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete