Thursday 4 March 2021

From SidneyR: Pack Baggage for the "Oubliette" (30 points)

 


The Oubliette is a place for lost and forgotten things.  Miniatures which have been in the painting queue for longer than anyone can remember.  And I felt that the idea for this Challenge XI Chamber was to resurrect such miniatures, emptying the Oubliette and getting some paint on the last year's (or the last decade's) "Big (but forgotten) Thing".


I've had this lovely pair of baggage animals for years and years.  Possibly a decade, and possibly even into the early 2000s.  That's a very long time to be undercoated but not painted.  So this Challenge XI, it was their turn.

And in the hour it took to paint them (while making a coffee and watching Netflix), I did wonder why it had taken me so long.  They're a lovely pair of 28mm miniatures from Wargames Foundry, which should fit in perfectly for all kinds of periods and battlefields.  

I tried to paint them with a limited palette - no one wants the baggage horse and baggage donkey to overshadow the cuirassiers, after all.  And the dusty ground could be anywhere from the foothills of Extremadura to a Muscovite summer.  Easy to fit in anywhere, in other words.


In short they were just fun to paint, and painting forgotten figures is what the Challenges are all about, right?

So, for the points.  Two 28mm miniatures at 5 points each (I think horses score the same as two-legged chaps!), plus 20 points for the "Oubliette". Totalling 30 points to the score.



******* 



17 comments:

  1. Smooth and superb work as always Sidney. Funny how, as you say, the forgotten figures seem to paint quickly, at least relative to other projects? Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg... it is strange how quickly the really, REALLY old things get painted. And they usually look quite nice afterwards. And you think... "why did I wait so long?" !!

      Delete
  2. Nice pack animals, Sidney. If I'm not mistaken, those were originally Citadel miniatures from the early 80s - I think I had one in my D&D collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had a prize, Tamsin, you would win it! I think they are from the 1980s originally. As authentic as "A Flock of Seagulls", but with better hair.

      Delete
  3. Those are really nice pack animals. You should give them one of your patterned Laarden cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I missed a trick not adding them to a Collectible Character Card. Fear not, if you're a Card Collector, there are more in the pipeline...

      Delete
  4. Wonderful work Sid, very smooth and I really like the basework. A decade on the side-desk is good for seasoning. They make me think of one of my favourite LotR characters, Bill the Pony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Curt! "....seasoning..." is the perfect word for the Lead Mountain. Thank you for that polite reference to my pile of shame. The horse would make a very good Bill the Pony!

      Delete
  5. A great looking, and very versatile pair of minis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great figures for a nice scenario! I just remembered do you have a Netflix account? There's a Belgian series there you should check out:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thieves_of_the_Wood


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63SK5Clu9zs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Superb work as always, Mr. R!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely looking pair of elderly pack animals!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete