Thursday 4 March 2021

From MikeF - The Altar of the Snowlord - Alpha Legion Glaive Superheavy Tank - 50 points

 For my offering to the Snowlord's Altar I was tasked with completing a super-heavy vehicle for my 30k Alpha Legion. By strange coincidence I had one sitting around! The Glaive is one of the many super-heavy tanks operated by the Space Marine Legions during the Great Crusade and Horus Heresy. In the fluff it was designed to fight the various alien empires that mankind sought to...make safe. It's armed with a Volkite Carronade or "Giant Laser Thingy." The chosen legion to operate it are the stealthy and deceptive Alpha Legion! It's true that a super-heavy tank doesn't really fit with the stealthy nature of the Alpha Legion, but that's exactly what they want you to think...or is it? So much mystery!

The tank took a few pots of sotek green to cover, but it came out well I think. The decals are Forgeworld as are the special Alpha Legion doors. For the carronade I attempted to paint the burnt metal effect that seems popular for heat based weapons. It's made by painting bands of seraphim sepia, druchii violet and drakenhof nightshade and blended together. It took several attempts to get it to where I was satisfied. I'd say the result is ok considering it's done with a brush. I can see where an airbrush would shine at this sort of thing. The effect itself is actually a bit curious. Painters like to add it to jet exhaust nozzles as well, but when you actually look at pictures of real jet engines, this dramatic blueing of the metal doesn't seem to be a thing. It sometimes occurs at the end of a blowtorch and when it does appear on an engine exhaust system it actually appears further up the system near the engine where it's the hottest and not at the nozzle. I'm not saying it never happens, but it seems to be extremely rare. Maybe it's more common in combat operations when the components aren't maintain to the same standard. If anyone has real world experience/knowledge with this affect on metal, I'd welcome your input.

For points I scored it as a 54mm vehicle because it's absolutely huge, so 30 points, plus 20 points for completing the challenge.




There are only about two weeks left in the challenge and I'm hoping to complete one final vehicle for the Alpha Legion.

Thanks for visiting

12 comments:

  1. Oh f**k yeah!!! That is AWESOME. Alpha to Omega!! Great job Mike!!

    "Make safe" indeed...I'm sure the universe is "safer" already....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tremendous work on the Glaive, Mike! Really well done in the Challenge as well....congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice, thicc addition to your Heresy era forces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work, that’s a great blue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoah! What a beast! I can totally see the Alpha Legion using this on 'stealthy, surgical strike' missions, yeah, totally. You know, the main gun probably shoots subtle terror munitions, like poxed kittens, or expired coupon books. Speaking of which that barrel effect is brilliant, well done! It's especially impressive being brush-applied.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic work on this beast of a tank. Knowing the Alpha Legion, it's probably registered as a Rhino on the Imperial database.
    The heat effect on the end of the gun is a nice effect. Sadly, I don't have any first hand experience of the effect of heat on death ray equipment, but I have used a similar style on my own melta and plasma armed minis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spectacular work! The heat effect looks cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not cold... cool. I know what I meant.

      Delete
  8. Truly a thing of beauty to behold!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful looking super heavy tank!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. I mean, the physics of engine burn on made up battle cruisers is beyond my knowledge, but rule of cool and all. Love this piece, great effect on the barrel.

    ReplyDelete