Saturday 22 January 2022

From GrantH - 28mm Canadian Highlander Recce Team (10 points)

Hello everyone! I hope you are all doing well and staying healthy out there as the pandemic goes on. It has been a rather busy time for me since I have just started a new job following the winter holidays, so I am sneaking this small post in just before the cut off. I have already begun to make good progress on my backlog, so hopefully I will be able to make consistent posts in the coming weeks now that I have settled into the new routine.

Anyhow, for my first post of this challenge I have prepared a 28mm Canadian Highlander recon team using Warlord Games' plastic British and Canadian Infantry set. Their old commando and infantry plastic sets were definitely in dire need of an update and I was quite pleased with the new designs overall. It definitely motivated me to finally get around to building a dedicated Canadian force for my games of Bolt Action and Chain of Command.

For these lads, I have opted to depict them with the darker green Canadian battledress as it distinguishes them nicely from their British counterparts on the table-top. Having recently read Tim Cook's excellent two book series on the Canadian contribution to WWII, I decided that building a Canadian force themed around the First Canadian Army in northern Europe was the way to go. As such, this recon group will likely be the first part of a force themed around assault pioneers and WASP IIC detachments that were present for the Battle of the Scheldt. 


The spotter is just a little more on edge than the sniper as they navigate the marshy terrain of the Scheldt.




 This recce team are possibly D-Day Veterans as they have Mk. III assault helmets strapped to their packs.

A pair of completed 28mm figures is worth 10 points total if I recall correctly. A small start, but I plan on ramping up quickly since I set a total goal of 750 points back in December!

Ideally, the rest of the Scots-Canadian pioneers will be completed soon so I can move on to new projects. I think every year I participate in the challenge I claim that I will finally get around to the Napoleonics that have been in the backlog for several years, but something tells me the Spanish Civil War will be my new distraction after I finish the Canadians...

__________________________

Wonderful to have you with us again this year Grant! These Canadians looks terrific. I like that you have them in their slightly darker battledress, wearing their tams, though I expect the tin hats will be going on quick enough when the Jerry mortars start up. :)   Tim Cook's such a great historian and I can see how his work would get you enthused to get a force of Canucks painted up. I look forward to seeing more from this project!

- Curt




28 comments:

  1. Nice team. Now I wish I have thought about a recce unit for my own Canadian infantry project before exhausting the models in the Warlord box... I may need to buy another box perhaps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I borrowed the Enfield sniper loadout from some old warlord British Airborne spues I had lying around since I don't think the scoped Enfields are on the new plastics, but it is very easy to kitbash!

      Delete
  2. Great work Grant. Nice to see this campaign getting some love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done. I like your choice to paint them the darker green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The darker green is definitely refreshing, I have burnt through more than my fair share of Vallejo "English Uniform" on other WW2 commonwealth projects.

      Delete
  4. Excellent looking troops. A great diversion from the norm in WWII.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gotta love Commonwealth troops. We all know who really made the biggest contribution to beating Jerry ;-P. Well done Grant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I have always been a fan of Commonwealth troops for wargaming WW1/2. I already have Airborne, Commandos, Chindits, and Canadians makes this my fourth commonwealth army. One can never have too many armies!

      Delete
  6. Well done! Seems like there are WW2 Canadians in abundance about this year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect the new Bolt Action minis and Campaign book that features the Canadians might have contributed to inspiring quite a few new armies according to my local game group.

      Delete
  7. Good looking pair Grant, nice to have you in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely looking pair of ww2 Canadians!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much great "Canadian Content" this year - well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. For sure! I always liked the Tams and Aesthetic of Scottish regiments.

      Delete