Saturday 22 January 2022

From JohnS - Sneaky Blue Moon Stikkas + An Uninvited Guest (45 points)

It has been an eventful couple of weeks here in the jungle I call a home. We had a visit from a 3+ foot monitor lizard (known to some as a goanna) who spent a couple of nights in our ceiling space. In the course of attempting to release said dinosaur I fell off the roof, banging up my leg and effectively putting me out of action for 3 weeks. I used to like the monitors, now, not so much.

Bastard of a lizard

Now that I can sit with a bent leg again I have started on a unit of older Warhammer Goblin Stikkas, part of the Blue Moon clan. (I quite like their beer too) Done as an experiment using mainly contrast paints, they have come out pleasingly well.

My vision was for them to be quite dark so they can fit in with my Night Gobbo army but still have a pop of colour.

They are perhaps not as dark as I thought they would be but I still like them. I feel that they would blend in well with the night's shadows. The lighting in these photos is perhaps too strong, they are darker in real life.

In the end they worked quite well since I had to consider techniques that would give me a satisfactory result given I was only able to paint in short bursts.

Since there are nine of the blighters I would like to claim 45 points for them as well as a Squirrel. And they tick off the letter G. Now that I am on the mend I plan to get back on track with the painting, hopefully with some halflings by next week.

Oh, and I finally got the dinosaur out of the ceiling. He eventually decided to spend some time in the rafters of our adjoining garage. I had both doors open to encourage him out and when he wandered on to the open panel lift door I hit the button and happily watched him slide out on to the driveway. Bloody thing was still wandering around in our garden today though.

From Millsy:

That's a decent size for a monitor John. We get the buggers here too although thankfully I've never had to eject one from the roof space. They can be pretty aggressive and are bloody stubborn in my experience so I'm not surprised you had your work cut out getting it moved on. Sounds like you got (relatively) lucky with your fall too. I hope you make a complete recovery mate.

Your gobbos are wonderful. I've always liked this earlier plastic version and have some in my shame pile somewhere too. I've seen a number of painters I rate saying you should never paint black as actual black, but rather a dark grey. Blue-grey seems right to me as a cool version is more appropriate for the night.

Well done and 45 points it is! Looking forward to the hobbits.



18 comments:

  1. Nice gobbos, John! And a very large lizard too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say extra points for battling a true dinosaur. Excellent gobbos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blue gobbos. My wife just crossed Oz as a potential, place to emigrate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear your fall didn’t break you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great paint job on that goanna- incredibly realistic!😄

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you've been collecting a lizardman army John, but that might be taking it a bit far methinks!

    Lovely gobbos - looking forward to seeing them on the table mate

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a full scale panic when we get a spider in our house, I don't know how we would cope with something like that lizard.
    Great looking goblins, the dark blue works well for them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you're feeling better and able to monitor the goanna situation... Nice gobboes! That blue really pops.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear you are on the mend.
    Splendid work on these classic Gobbo archers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Argh! A reali life Lizard! Get me out of here!

    Great work on those Goblins.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A fine looking bunch of old school goodness…
    …and a most impressive guest you had there

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Gobbo's but that Monitor would have me painting the inside of my pants in 50 shades of brown for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nicely painted - great to see the classic gobbos are still to be found and put to use!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you will recover soon! Good looking gobbos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are great gobboes. Here in Canada I just paid s/o to evict a family of squirrels from my attic. Hate to think what they’d charge for a monitor!
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  16. Old school gobbos! How nice! They look great!
    Sorry to hear of your fall - hope you get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great looking old skool goblins!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete