Saturday 22 January 2022

From ByronM - Kingdom Death Good vs Evil on Corsucant (64 Points)

This is a submission LONG in the making, I originally primed these up about 4 challenges ago and then never got around to them.  I kept putting them off as I was not quite sure how to deal with 2 of them and didn't want to screw up such expensive models.  Well, this year it was time to bite the bullet and do them anyway, and I think I nailed it on one and screwed the pooch on the other, but you be the judge.

First up the one I think I nailed, and the one I was most worried about, the Watcher.  This enigmatic entity is your saviour and killer in Kingdom Death.  In this bleak world there is no sky, no sun, just endless darkness and evil, when you wake up in the world though you find magic lanterns that keep the darkness and monsters at bay and let you survive.  [SKIP THE REST OF THIS PARAGRAPH IF YOU DON'T WANT KD SPOILERS!] What you don't realize up front is that Watchers provide and power these lanterns as a way to gather groups of humans into settlements.  Then after a while (25 years/games) they come out from their underground lairs to devour the now hopefully highly populated grown up settlement.  Yeah Kingdom Death is an evil evil place.

The Watchers are supposed to both create and devour light (and hopefully I am getting all this lore correct as its pieced all over the books and cards and not clear on purpose) so I wanted to try and paint something both dark and light.  I went with black but didn't want a pure black so it is actually a deep blue then shaded down to black in the crevasses and up to a slightly lighter blue at the highlights.  I then painted his sash in a bone colour to provide some kind of colour contrast (going black/white but not true colours at either side of the spectrum) and lastly painted the lanterns and some OSL light effects from them, but kept them muted on purpose to show that the light is fading around him.  I am super happy with the result, and I am almost NEVER happy with my own painting, which makes it even better!

Next up is the one I don't like how he came out, the Manhunter.  This is another super cheery monster in Kingdom Death who comes to settlements and demands you sacrifice people to him.  If you don't he likes toying with you in the fight breaking arms, legs, and backs as he breaks you down and then hauls you away.  It never says what he does with the people he takes, but it can't be pleasant.

He is dressed pretty mono-chromatically as he is supposed to be wearing leather made from animals and people, so I tried to use various browns, tans, and skin tones to make up some division in his outfit, but I am just not happy with the overall result.  I struggled with thinking about what to do with him for the last few weeks, but just couldn't come up with a solution, so am submitting him as is, as he is at least usable for the game even though he is not great.

Next up are two survivors to add some extra weapon options to my collection of figures.  The female figure is a Savior figure holding what could be a great sword or twilight sword in game, either a very useful option (even though the twilight sword makes you super powerful for about 8 games then kills you).  



The male is just a random fighter with an axe.  I fell in love with this figure due to the fish head he is wearing as a helmet, so I had to make sure it stood out so painted it a bright green and refer to him as the Fisherman. He kinda suffers from the same monochromatic issue that the Manhunter does though with all his leather items, but again, I wasn't sure where to go from there.

 

Overall, I really like the Watcher and the Saviour figures and the Manhunter and Fisherman may need a revisit at some point for more contrast of a few colour changes.  If anyone has suggestions, I would love to hear them.

As for points, I am not sure so leave it at your discretion Millsy.  Kingdom Death is a 40mm game, so the 2 heroes are easy (2 @ 7 = 14 points), but I am not sure how you want to count the monsters.  Normally monsters are equal to vehicles, but these don't seem quite big enough to count as 25 points each, but they are also not cavalry, but I think it would be more reasonable points wise to count them as such and 15 points each instead of the 25?  Your call completely.  Whatever you come up with, I also get the bonus 20 points for completing a good vs evil post for the planet of Corsucant.  

Oh, and I almost forgot, this will also be my 4th squirrel point! So far my topics for Squirrel points include:

  1. 15mm Eldar
  2. 10mm Undead
  3. 30k Marines
  4. Kingdom Death Monsters and Heroes
From Millsy:

This is the best of your three entries today Byron IMHO. I love everything about these, the painting style, the colour choices, the glowing light, etc. all just gorgeous. The Manhunter is absolutely ripped with 66% more six pack than the rest of the human race!

I know what you mean about not wanting to paint something for fear of screwing up. I prefer to think of it as letting the resin or the undercoat cure properly [insert eyeroll]. Sometimes you just have to start and see where it takes you. Mistakes are just a part of the process. FWIW I think you nailed it.

I'm happy with 15 points per monster so that's 2 x 7 (14) points + 2 x 15 (30) points + 20 points = 64 points. Well done on three great entries in one week!

25 comments:

  1. Great stuff Byron -- that watcher is stunning and the others are great too, especially all that leather (no matter the source!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon… I still think the leather needs something, but not sure what…. Someday it will c9 e to me.

      Delete
  2. Wow! I'm not heavily engaged with fantasy or SciFi themes but these make a great painting work indeed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I try to do at least a few figures a year that push me to do higher level painting than my normal simple tabletop get it done method…. The Watcher is one of those pieces this year.

      Delete
  3. These are great, black cloaks are hard to get right, but you've nailed it. I love the subtle OSL too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, yeah I am especially happy with him. Best of all he is such a fun fight in KD so I finally have a painted figure to use for it.

      Delete
  4. Great work on these super dark and creepy figures. I am not surprised that we were farmed….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter! Being "farmed" is kinda the thing in KD isn't it? In all four different campaigns (Basic, Dragon, Sunstalker, and Spidiculous) all end up with you finding your protector is your greatest threat. Such a great and dark game and theme, isn't it? Not for everyone, but still amazing.

      Delete
  5. Byron, these are outstanding! I had no idea of the backstory to the figures so thank you for including that! These posts are like story time for me! You outdid yourself on (all of) these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, worth the wait. Cheery little bylines. :) Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Superb! I love that Watcher. Brilliant work Byron.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some seriously ethereal brushwork Byron

    ReplyDelete
  9. Despite your reservations I think these are all absolutely superb Byron. And actually I think its the monochromaticity (is that even a word?) that makes both the manhunter and the guy with his fish helmet my favourite models of the bunch.If I would change one thing than it would be the colour of the gallow, maybe making it either brighter, like freshly cut wood or go the other direction. More greyish, maybe with some mossy green for contrast

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like this Challenge, it gives positive pressure to participants and we see these strange and well painted miniatures. Very nice style you have here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Disturbing figures from a bleak sounding game,very nicely done!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great work Byron, well done.
    Based on your description of the game to date, and the array of terrifying figures we have seen from it over the years, I assume the Manhunter takes his victims away to become staff at his Private Equity firm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I didn't think anyone could come up with something more terrifying than what takes place in KD, but your punishment sounds worse!!!

      Delete
  13. Great work Byron! I guess good things come to those who wait! 4 challenges in the making, but your paintjob sure did them justice!

    ReplyDelete