Thursday 17 February 2022

From AlanD: Entirely predictably, more Romanians (22.5 points)

You may recall me 'completing' my WWII Romanian project. Well, since them I have had a truly excellent game of Battle Group using them against my friend Marty's Hungarians, and as a result, started thinking about painting some more bits and bobs. As a side note, why is it that every company in the world makes Opel Blitz trucks, but it seems to be impossible to find any of the trucks in widespread use in eastern Europe in 28mm? My kingdom for something like a Praga RV or Tatra 92!



Anyway. The latest recruit for my Romanian army is this Panzer 38(t), known as the T-38 in Romania. About 50 of these were acquired from the Germans in mid-1943, when the Germans were very keen to get rid of the horrible death traps. Although there are colour plates online of Romanian T-38s painted in olive green, it seems to be the case that vehicles were usually left in the colours of the original owners. For my model, I have attempted to paint it as a Panzer 38(t) that was originally painted in Panzer grey, received a flogging in Russia in 1942, was repainted in Dunkelgelb in 1943, then dumped on the Romanians, who gave it a coat of whitewash in winter 1944-5. It is quite challenging to paint something to look like it has shoddy and worn paintwork, but I'm pretty happy with it. I'm sure Marty's Hungarian Tiger I crew will be quaking in their boots when they meet this on the table.



The tank is from Warlord Games, and it is a lovely plastic model - presumably an Italeri kit? The commander is from Great Escape Games. 

Your whitewashing and weathering here is exquisite. The commander really helps give the tank a sense of size. We are shocked that your finished project was not, in fact, finished. Shocked, I say.

Barks

18 comments:

  1. Good job creating that worn and torn paint job. Very convincing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks awesome Dux - and I like how you "finish" a project! For me, "finishing" is the surest sign I will soon be adding reinforcements...you know, just a few...
    The panzer looks ace - the slushy, worn look it spot on, would look just fine on the streets of Winnipeg in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, and probably everyone else in the world, knew that this project wasn't finished!

    Cracking work, Alan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great, what did you use for the snow effect?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter! I have a big container of snow flock from Woodland Scenics, then mix some into an acrylic medium - Resin Sand from Liquitex - with a palette knife.

      Delete
  5. Very well done! Love the grubby look.
    The Warlord Panzer 38(t) is a scaled up Plastic Soldier Company kit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I somehow knew Nick would now the provenance on this. :)

      Delete
    2. Really? That's interesting. I've made about 10 or the 15mm PSC ones - no wonder this felt familiar!

      Delete
  6. Wonderful work Dux and I'm delighted to hear that you managed a game with them already. I hope we get to see more of this project in Challenge XIII.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You'll be seeing more of it in Challenge XII.....

      Delete
  7. Splendid looking shoddy panzer!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete

  8. Love the weathering and the snow on that panzer; it adds so much character to the model.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your attention to the weathering and snow brought this model to the next level!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely model. "Here's an obsolete tank, son, but don't worry, that whitewash will stop an 88. Pretty sure it will. Well, maybe. Have fun!"

    ReplyDelete