Thursday 17 February 2022

From GeoffreyT: Multi-planet mayhem (Solaris)(LV-426)(Perelandra)(Krypton)(Gethen)(161 points)

From Vulcan, we leave pointy ears behind us and move onto its neighbour Solaris.

SOLARIS - Deception

These two chaps came from a second hand bulk lot.  I have identified them as Copplestone castings Spies.  Both are wearing nondescript suits to blend in where ever blending is needed.

They don't blend in particularly well with the green grass base.

That is now the last location in the outer-ring

Solaris is adjacent to LV-426 in the middle ring, so onwards and inwards we go.


LV-426 - Aliens

My Stargrave crew consisted of various Apeonauts from the USSS Fossey.  With the untimely death of their leader, they are now drifting in space somewhat directionless, as the most likely candidate for a new leader was Bubbles.  Unfortunately Bubbles lacks leadership qualities.  This is because Bubbles is a chimpanzee.

Therefore, it is time to build a new crew, and a new crew means new miniatures.  These three are the core of the next mob.  Three Alien Greys (reaper chronoscope metals).  The greys are nominally 28mm scale, although they are a bit weedy, 24mm to the eye.

The greys have different types of equipment, which will be great for identifying them as various skill types in game.  However, I'm not sure an anal probe is equipment used in Stargrave. (I will check rulebook just in case)


Of course, in Stargrave you need random monster antagonists.  This wooly rhino fits the in game description of a "Horat".  28mm model from Reaper Warlord metals.  The Horat is also an Alien.

For some reason, this Horat has two horns and one ear.  The missing ear is probably a casting defect, but I have added gore so it looks like it was bitten off by a space monster called Mike.

The Horat is big.  This is it compared to the greys.

Now from LV426 we jump over the already completed Noels comet, to Perelandra, the final uncompleted destination in the middle ring.


PERELANDRA - Oceanic

This sculpt is a mer-bloke on a sea-horse, trumpeting on a conch shell.  very oceanic indeed.  This is a 28mm Ral Partha miniature, from their Shadowrun line.


Here he is on the reverse.  I didnt have anything oceanic, so grabbed him from a bin of old stock at my local gaming store in Perth city to match the requirement.  Probably been in the store for 25 years, as it dates back that far.

Here is his muddy cousin, that came in same pack.  



Now the middle ring is done, and I zoom around in circles till I reach the great abyssal and begin my final assault on the inner ring at Krypton.


KRYPTON - Superhero

I didn't have anything suitable for this location either, so the same old stock bin at my local store produced this beauty.  This is a Reaper Chronoscope 28mm metal miniature labelled 'Torrent - Superhero".  Leaping out of the water, it is apparent her super-abilities include having dry hair after swimming.

I don't know anything about the super-hero genre, so I could safely paint her any colour I choose.  I chose a yellow bikini, because Y is for yellow Bikini in the alphabet soup challenge.

My wife said I picked this model because she had big tits, although there may be an element of truth in that, like a dutiful husband that I am, I denied it.


The yellow bikini is not so evident from the rear shot.

Next door we cool down after all that excitement, on a planet of ice and snow.


GETHEN - Ice and Snow

These two ferocious monsters are denizens of frostgrave, from the 28mm Northstar line, designed for the game.  First, a snow leopard.

I wasn't quite happy with the leopard spots, so I thought I might re-paint them.  Then I realised a leopard doesn't change its spots, so I left it as is.  You basically just get one shot at it.

Next is an ice toad.  These guys have a nasty bite.

I wasn't happy with spots on this one either, but since it wasn't a leopard, I could change them and they are now better.

Finally a widget I found in my box of unpainted things.  Spider eggs from Wizkids.  The eggs were translucent, I painted them with a translucent paint to keep the 'Nemo's doomed siblings' egg effect.

***

Not many miniatures for lots of bonus points this week.  However, there are not many planets left for me to claim now.


10 x 28mm foot = 50 points

1 x 28mm mounted fig

1 widget = 1 point

5 bonus planets = 100 points.

Total = 161 points

Y is for Yellow Bikini.


Cheers

GT

A good variety of figures here, Geoff. Nice work on all those labels! I think I've been to that Perth store you speak of and found some antique figures there myself. Keep an eye out for your Challenge!

Barks

12 comments:

  1. Very nice varied collection of figures! I'm now humming Hayseed dixies alien abduction probe for some reason!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great eclectic collection of eyecandy well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried very hard to find the yellow bikini from the rear shot, but you are correct - it is not very evident. Good job on this varied entry, Geoffrey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the whistlestop tour, Geoff! :)

    If that bikini had been smaller, you would have had to paint it in an itsy-bitsy teeny-weeny yellow polkadot scheme! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice. I love the obscure variety of figures that keep coming up, never thought I would see a merman on a seahorse!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great variety pack. Really like that merman.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That’s some unusual yet very well painted stuff. The mer(e)-bloke is my favorite

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m dizzy from that trip around the planets! I got a great laugh from your determination that you couldn’t change the leopard’s spots but that you could, in fact, change the toad’s!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a lot of planets. Some nice figures.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for your kind comments, I'm glad you like the post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's quite a mix of figures! Nicely painted.

    ReplyDelete