Thursday 17 February 2022

From AlanD: Covenanter Pikes (60 points)

Along with a gnome and more Romanians this week, I finished my Covenanter company for Pikeman's lament. The last unit was another block of 12 pikemen from Warlord Games, based again using the 3-2-1 system suggested in the rules. I really like the look this gives to the units, and I will be using it more.



GregB asked last week how many figures are needed for Pikeman's Lament, and apologies Greg for not getting back to you sooner. The rulebook suggests games using 24 point companies. Infantry are made up of either 6 or 12 foot (eg 6 for a Forlorn Hope, 12 for Pike or Shot) and cavalry always have 6 figures. Units cost anywhere from 1-8 points, but most cost about 4 without upgrades. For example, a company made up of two units of horse, two of pikes, one shot and one unit of dragoons would cost 24 points, and require 39 infantry figures and 15 cavalry (depending on how you base your dragoons). Typically, I just painted far more than I need so I can have bigger battles or different options.



The flag is one I hand painted some years ago (at larger scale) and reduced it on the photocopier. I painted a few Covenanter flags and different cavalry cornets back then - if anyone wants them let me know and I'll send you a scan.

Since I'm calling this project done, I'll finish with a group photo. Without any upgrades, this would be a 36 point Company in Pikeman's Lament. Only about 2/3 of the force was painted during the challenge, with some painted a number of years ago and rebased. 60 points for the final pikemen please Barks!


Well done on 'finishing' this project! They are a beautiful and coherent force. I like your idea of painting your own banner and then reducing it.

Barks

13 comments:

  1. Great stuff Dux, and thanks for the info. This might have to be a project for next Challenge...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, those look superb and I love the group shot at the end. Brilliant work Dux. I'd definitely like a copy of your banner scans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great, Alan! :)

    "...I'm calling this project done,..." yeah, right! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The group shot is good to see and idea of painting and resizing a flag is great! I agree with you, 3-2-1 basing looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking Covenanters and the flag is ace,finished then? Does that mean more next week?!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful looking group Alan. That flag is impressive.,

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m calling this project done… ish ;)
    It looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work Dux. I’ve really enjoyed this project

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent brushwork Alan and we'll done getting them finished.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Alan:
    Lovely fore, the combinations of blues and browns are very pleasing and the figures have dynamic poses, with the flag as icing on the cake. Honestly, being in a line of pike facing another pike armed force, with the prospect of becoming a kebab, very scary to contemplate.
    Well done.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete