Thursday 3 March 2022

From GeoffreyT: The last one (Xanth)(60 points)

At last I have reached the last of the pre-defined planet based objectives, Xanth.  I was going to use the theme of never ending to cover the issue of scale creep, but felt better of it, and have gone for the key phrase "Unique Talent".

Cacofonix the Bards musical skills are indeed unique, unfortunately they are not appreciated by all.


This miniature did not get painted with the previous batch of Asterix figures I posted for Noel's Comet, because he was a poor casting, with the front foot and half the base missing.  Therefore he was delayed as I took time to sculpt in the missing parts with green stuff.


I decided to build this planet on a theme of the miniature left behind.  For various reasons, good and bad, one or more miniatures from a batch seems left behind to habitate the bottom of cardboard box.  

So I scraped around in boxes and found some projects where I had left one behind for a reason.  Some recent, some older.

Next we have a Copplestone Castings Spy, from the same set of the two spies I posted for Solaris.  This guy came in a second hand lot with the others, but his base tab was cut off.  I was undecided how I would base him, on a flat or raised base, so he got delayed.  The plunge was made and here he is.



The next chap is one of Beowulf retinue that I posted for Glorantha.  28mm from Eureka miniatures.

I lost his shield and spear, so he was put aside.  I found some spare stuff for him and here he is.


An old plastic shield by Citadel, and a bronze wire spear.


Next I have an AWI British Officer (28mm Crusader miniatures).  When I got a my first AWI stuff, I had no idea why some blokes were randomly holding a spear, when their mates had guns.  Did he just point it and shout BANG.  I just didn't see a need to paint them all.


I have since learned these random spear guys are the Officer's and quite useful for Sharp Practice, so I dug him back out for painting.


This 'last one' is also the 'first one'.  The first Dr Who, William Hartnell by Citadel Miniatures.  This miniature was quite venerable, and appears to have suffered for having been stripped down and repainted too often, with a loss of detail on his head, like it had been scrubbed too hard with a toothbrush.  So wasn't one I was inspired to paint.


I painted him nonetheless, specifically for this post.


Next is some Gallic casualties.  These guys were duplicates of others I had.  They are very useful for things like clue markers in "Rangers of Shadow Deep", so here are the last three painted.  Brand unknown, in 28mm scale.



Next is a lady in a bath tub.  Why did I leave this one.  Well she is the third I have, and how many do you need; probably none.  For a wild west scenario maybe one.  Brand unknown.  25mm scale.



Finally I have an Epic Eldar Wave Serpent by Citadel Miniatures.  I was given a painted second hand force of Epic Eldar (Space Elfs in 6mm scale) and got enthused and purchased some bits to supplement it.  I acquired two used 'Wave Serpent' hovering troop transporters.  One painted and one unpainted.  I have now belatedly painted this one to match the other.


Here it is next to the one I copied.  Close enough I say.


There are plenty more examples where I have left one or more behind, you could say I have a 'never ending' supply (Xanth theme again!).  I probably should have finished this post with some Mohicans, but that is enough for today.

***

Cacofonix (about 20mm, he is quite small) = 4 points + 20 point Xanth bonus.

5 x 28mm foot = 25 points

3 x 28mm prone and no base = 9 points

1 x 6mm vehicle = 2 points.

A grand total of 60 points.

With all the planets now done, now it is time to crash my spaceship into the Challenge XII Star in a fit of ecstasy, just like the Fire Clown in Moorcroft's book 'The Winds of Limbo'.

Geoff.


I, too, find that the Challenge inspires me to slap paint on those neglected oddities we all have floating around. Good work salvaging the bard, and his tunic looks great as well. He's a great choice for a Unique Talent. The eclectic collection you've thrown in here is wonderful. Congratulations on completing all the locations!

Barks

11 comments:

  1. A great set of "left behind" minis, Geoff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful collection of individuals! Lovely painting, haven't thought of "the winds of limbo" this century, nice call!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful set of minis from the lead pile that time forgot. Cacphonix is my fave, he nails the unique talent requirement. I got a big chuckles out of the SYW guys with sticks moment! The half pike was useful in keeping the privates in line and also adjusting the angle of musket fire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful selection of different finishes. I have tried to finish projects during the Challenge, but I guess I have started more than I have completed. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great post! No mini left behind!!
    ‘ Did he just point it and shout BANG.’ I laughed out loud!
    As someone that makes bath products for a living - the more ladies in bath tubs the better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A nice batch of minis to round off your projects. The wave serpent looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. well done - is the bath lady from Eureka possibly?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great collection of figures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice job on finishing the forgotten, Geoff!
    You really should see the movie "Sweet Liberty" with Alan Alda...apparently you can do a neat with the officer pike! ;)

    ReplyDelete