Thursday 24 March 2022

From Martijn N: Wrapping up

Well, that went fast! As a matter of fact even faster than I thought, for I had written a final (I thought) contribution for March 21st, only to find that I was too late! A very senior moment I fear. However, even without my final Squirrel I truly had a blast. I smashed my target which, even though admittedly still fairly modest at 500 points nevertheless was considerably up from that of my my first Challenge last year. I think I managed an average of more or less a squirrel per post, which just goes to show that focus is not one of my few strenghts. Neither is photography, of figures or otherwise. So here goes, with the obligatory hat:


I did figures, in 10mm, 15mm, 28mm and 40mm, I did a hill, I did houses, two wells and a keep (which I forgot for the photo, duh)  and a market stall, I did animals as in horses, wargs, and camels, I did Elves, Men, goblins, a Dwarf, Romans, Arabs, Russians and Württembergers; I quadrupled the number of female figures I ever painted; and I did ships. I embraced the Squirrel. Yippie!

Once again, I painted less than I had hoped, but more than I expected. I find that the (self-inflicted, I know) pressure to try to get a post in every week tends to severely limit my ability to comment on others' contributions, which I have done much less than I intended to and very much less than everybody deserved, so my apologies. Next year, I will do my best to better my life. I am also sorry that I only got to join the chat once; my speech is somewhat impaired, and I find it very difficult to concentrate on painting while talking, or the other way around, especially in  a foreign language; but I very much enjoyed the company when I was there. I shall definitely look forward to joining more often in future!

I can only say that I have thoroughly enjoyed the fantastic, diverse, extremely talented, awesome, quirky, weird and otherwise interesting contributions of the amazingly creative, welcoming, kind and friendly bunch that you Challengers are. Thanks ever so much for having me join you, it truly has been a privilege!

Thanks, Curt, for allowing me in once again and organizing a wonderful Challenge. The Challenge Quadrant was an absolutely  brilliant idea and I had great fun with it. Thanks also to all our long-suffering minions, and  especially my "own" Friday minion,  our unfortunate Dave. I do hope you have a smoother ride next year!

Well, that's it from me. So long one and all, and thanks for all the fun. I hope to see you all again next winter!

28 comments:

  1. You had a great and varied challenge Martijn. I enjoyed watching it all roll out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for your kind comments, Peter!

      Delete
  2. It was great to have you with us again, Martijn! A very eclectic output as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin. Perhaps I should try just a little more focus next time... I really appreciated your prompt and nice comments!

      Delete
  3. Well done Martijn. Fine painting, and your supportive comments are so appreciated. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great collection Martijn, love the variety of scales and subjects

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was grest to meet you on the chat Martijn. You certainly painted up a diverse collection of figures. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pleasure, as they say, was all mine Ray, and thank you for all your supportive comments as well!

      Delete
  6. Great, diverse output, definition of squirrel I guess!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess so too! Thanks for all your comments Iain, I think you never a post again this year. Much appreciated!

      Delete
  7. Great work Martijn. Love the hat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your output surely was varied - and beautiful! Well done, Martijn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teemu, you have been a very stalwart commentator, much obliged!

      Delete
  9. A very successful Challenge! Great hat Martijn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natasha, your presence has much adorned the comments section and I am very thankful for your kind remarks!

      Delete
  10. That's an impressive haul Martijn - hope to see you next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, hope to see you there as well!

      Delete
  11. Really great work. Have to echo the sentiments of some of the other commentators... great hat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are totally right Martijn: this year's CHallenge went by far too fast! Well there's always next year of course and you have done really well all things considered right?

    Groetjes Sander

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely picture of you and your Challenge achievement, Martijn. Bravo!! I really enjoyed all your entries, but was especially enthused (and a little jealous) of your 10mm Battle of Five Armies project. Well done (and, yes, great hat)!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Martin:
    It was such a pleasure seeing your entries, they were always creative and well done and I admired how many different themes you managed, though I confess I never really understood the whole squirrel business. Looking forward to seeing your work again next year.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on meeting your target goal, Martijn. I really like your 3D printed buidlings, as well as your Roman citizens. See you in December. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great squirrelling, Martijn!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great stuff Martin, a fabulous result and some excellent entries

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete