Thursday 24 March 2022

KenR - "Rome or Death" a Garibaldi Project for AHPC

 
Wow that went quick ! Another challenge over and another huge project half done !

I was never going to get the whole of my Battle of Mentana build done in three months, its 20 units of 24 Garibaldi plus 4 units of 36 Papal troops and 5 units of 24 French plus three batteries of Artillery and a small amount of Cavalry (around 800 figures) but I hoped to make a big dent into it.

So I managed 7 units of Garibaldi Infantry, one of Papal Zouaves, a battery of Garibaldi guns and a Command Base or 213 figs in total, so around a quarter of the total needed to get the Battle on. I plan to do this as a display game at FIASCO 22 in October but that might be a stretch especially as I need to sort the terrain out, which is never my strongest point.

Work sadly got in the way this Challenge and I managed just over 1,000 points well short of my 1500 target, so I'm shy 4 or 5 units worth of stuff of where I hoped to be.  But it's been great fun researching, building up the units and getting enough on the table to make it actually look like something.

My personal favourite from the Challenge was my Papal Zouaves, the yellow flags and grey / red uniforms just make the unit, its something different that's for sure.

Thanks to everyone who has commented on my posts and if you are interested in seeing more of the Project as it builds keep an eye on Yarkshire Gamer, I've got a blog, YouTube Channel etc where these troops will appear.

And a special thanks once again to Curt for organising this wonderful event 👍

Keep in touch and I will see you on the start line, with another Big Project later this year.

Regards Ken 

The Yarkshire Gamer 



34 comments:

  1. This was such a fun project Ken! The Papal Zouaves were my favourites too, there were quite a few Dutch Zouaves and I fondly remember visiting the Zouavenmuseum in Oudenbosch as a teenager. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, its a great hobby, here I am in my mid 50s learning all about a new period of history 😀

      Delete
  2. Some crackin looking troops Ken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Ray, always nice to get the figs together as a group 👍

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed watching your progress on this project, Ken! Lovely stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy your verging on the hubristic projects, vaulting ambition that you very nearly pull off! This one is no exception, it's such a romantic mileu and your wonderful figures suit it to a tee!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again Iain, let's see what madness I can come up with for next year 😉

      Delete
  5. Huge amount of painted minis, great focus from you! I wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teemu, nice to get a photo of them all together 👍

      Delete
  6. I thoroughly enjoyed your project and look forward to following your progress on your platforms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Than, you Natasha, I hope you had a great time in your first challenge 👍

      Delete
  7. It's been enjoyable to watch the progress on this project - I'd love to see that demo game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, hope it get it out and about by the end of the year 👍

      Delete
  8. Great stuff Ken, always enjoy your posts and love the podcasts - always good to see your work

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great project and will be looking out on the website for updates - thanks!

    Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, some Papal Artillery are already in the pipeline

      Delete
  10. Excellent work on this project Ken. Your weekly posts were one of the highlights for me, especially with the history lesson thrown into the mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter, not quite up to my usual pace this year but it was great fun, thanks again

      Delete
  11. Really lovely work as always Ken. Your posts have been a highlight of the Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another brilliant Challenge Ken, loved to follow your Italian Adventure!

    Cheers Sander

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sander, this one has been a real adventure 👍

      Delete
  13. Loved this project, Ken. Maybe it was not as much as you wanted, but the quality and enthusiasm was there all the way. Bravo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Curt, hopefully it will kick start me to get the game finished for October 👍

      Delete
  14. Well done, mate, I can't wait to see the whole battle when it's finished, what a labour of love. Thanks for your great entries, they always inspired me.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mike, a long way to go to finish but the Challenge has certainly got me going in the right direction 👍

      Delete
  15. Great job, Ken. Viscount Turenne used to say fortune was for the big battalions, and you certainly have those. Thanks for all your positive comments on my challenge posts. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, that Viscount really knew his stuff 😀

      Delete
  16. Very well done, Ken! It was a pleasure to minion you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks and thanks for taking the time to help Curt out 👍

      Delete
  17. Bravo Ken, fabulous results mate, and on a side note Bravo on your Little Wars Tv award also!

    see you next year

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete