Wednesday 11 January 2023

From BruceR: Marauder Mercenary Ogre: 28mm Eastern Front Italians: 1980s: Studio Challenge: (78 pts)

Time again for the Wednesday production.  I feel somewhat owing to our Wednesday Minion Miles.  Between Millsy and I thought a couple challengers named Miles I didn't realize, our very Minion was renowned TV host direct from Youtube, Miles of LWTV.  Without knowing, I garnered an additional point ashamedly referencing a game played using LWTV's Ravenfeast. Simply to show the use of table dressing figures.  Oh, the pain, the chagrin, the shame.  Cheers Miles and thanks for the point. 

Oh well back to Wednesday offerings.  

I have to admit the challenge seriously helps me get things done.  What it also does is tempt me to look at miniatures I have not touched, used, or even intend to use.  This due to the offerings by all the participants bringing forth such a diverse selection of hobby.  Isn't it great!!!! (I'm still on the fence about vegetables) Ha. 

So, I didn't want to grind out another section of Italians as they sat looking at me primed and ready to go.  Instead, looking around the dungeon my eyes fell on a Flouncy Marauder Ogre Mercenary primed on my wall of opportunity (some completed and some not).  Well, why not, this bugger has sat on my shelf for many a year and I don't know if I purchased them all in a boxed set or separately it's been so long.   During my WHFB days (which started in 1988 Ft. Carson. CO) I would take one to jazz up a unit and fill four empire soldier slots with a similarly armed Mercenary Ogre.

Judging from the many renaissance figures to come before me someone can better educate me on the proper way to paint cut cloth as denoted on this friendly beast.  He was primed a sand color from days gone by and I now highlighted him with some dry brush white.  From there I used contrast paints to start.  I used Dark Oath Flesh, Blood Angels Red (thinned with medium) and Aethermatic Blue for the major colors.  The hat was Black Templar highlighted with black grey Vallejo.   Some white, some brass, and yellow (Iraqi sand with the old GW yellow ink I still have from yes the 80's).  Once completed I felt he needed a touch more, so I blacklined some of the clothing items to set them apart and this seemed to help. 

Enough blathering here he is for your review.  An Ogre about town, seen in all the fancy places, and dressed to kill.




I did want to show him off more than the old unit fillers, so he got the base treatment.  Milliput and wood plank From Happy Seppuku base texture stamp.  Quick paint and wash.





Here are his mates painted over the years to fill those empire slots.  I still have one more setting on the ledge of opportunity, who know.

Flouncy and his mates (who do not count) upon research appear to be from the late 80's GW Marauder figures.  So my 1980s Challenge Studios Set.






After his flaunciness I did the grind.  10 more Eastern Front Italians (poor saps).  The poster read, "come and sun yourself on the black sea, rest, relax......"  

These again are my project of Great Escape Games Italians from the eastern front.  
Avanti, Avanti:









Points:

Base to feather Flouncy is 50mm.  He is in that 7-10 point range.  

One Flouncy call it      8 pts  

1980s Studio               20 pts

10 28mm x 5               50 pts

Total                            78 pts

Minion Miles: Mention another LWTV product and you get more points - yes it's shameless self promotion.  The Ogre is fantastic!
         

10 comments:

  1. Lovely work there Bruce! That Ogre has so much character. Something missed at times with newer models.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work Bruce! Love the landsknecht Ogre, and any product called 'Happy Seppuku' gets my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that Ogre, who says ogres can't have style?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work, those poor Italian lads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gotta love the ogre, but the Italians are great too. I recognise the experience finding oneself painting figures one never planned to do for the Challenge! Or at all. That’s Curt for you, with his dam.. eh.. highly original themes 😉. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice landsknechty ogre, Bruce! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving the Ogre Bruce

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post today. The Ogre is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great painting! Especially love the Landsknecht Ogre - the basing texture is great. Guess could use historically as a really ugly Human figure?
    Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete