Wednesday 11 January 2023

From KyleC - Mega Squirrel! - [High Adventure/Sarah's Limit] - (637pts)

Time to go on a high adventure here... or at least a fantasy based one compared to the adventure in illness and medical shenanigans that have been all up in our house this past week. 

Lucky for me, this chest infection has left me winded, but also house bound. Meaning another week of no work, and mandatory rest.. though sitting was recommended as laying down brought on bouts of coughing fits like you wouldn't believe. Add in a foot flare and it was the start of a perfect storm! So sitting with the leg up was what the Emergency Doctor said I should do, so do that I did! 

So that said.. we got a 'few' things sorted this week here. 


So we did the High Adventure Studio this time around due to the large amount of heroes and villians that painted up this week for various games forthcoming. 


First up some Gnolls from Warp Miniatures. 3d Printed which came out great first time. Multi-part figures save for the Champion and puppies there. The Beastman Shaman there is from Beastarium as a herd shaman but I really liked the pose. 

I have to say that I really loved painting these up. Speed painted them with contrast paints over a black/white base. Tossed a Nuln Oil wash at the end for the Gnolls especially and called it a day. Only the Shaman got a bit more attention as he has a lot of details compared to the Warp sculpts. So needed a bit more time. All in though, these were done in an afternoon while resting. 


Here we also have a few Dwarven adventurers from Arbiters latest Kickstarter that was just completed. The Dwarven Lords (aptly named and all). What is cool about these are that they are 3d printed, but without supports. The bases are integrated to the model, and you print it straight to the base plate. So leaves no marks, and is just a complete pain to get off the plate afterwards. Thankfully I only print these on my smaller printers, and they all have steel mag plates. Making it so that I can just remove them from the magnetic base, flex and see them ping across the room.... 

I wanted to give them a go, and try painting something without contrast paints as much. I can only say I was not as happy with the results, but also means I really need to get back to 'real' painting at some point.. But I now have a small band of 4 adventurers of different types to play in various campaigns or D&D games as/when they occur. 


The Dark Dwarves here are from the same kickstarter. But heavily armored, and again I wanted to have a play here with some different colors and styles. Mainly the armor and skin (because what else is there here really).. For the skin, I tried something more pale, and sickly.. which just turned out to be a bit more pink in the end.. but worked in comparison to the blue armor. Which was my attempt at tinting the metallic paint before applying it. Which I have seen painters like Marco Frisoni ( YouTube painter ) do on a few of his projects. Was interesting to see and played nicely with contrasts and washes afterwards. 


Now I probably should have kept these for something like the Book Studio, but I have had these since May of last year when I picked up the license for print-on-demand selling of them (when I was doing 3d printing services). They have sat on my shelf for a while now, having traveled to a few shows for display, but never really got a lick of paint. 

I am really happy to see them painted up now however! Even if I have messed up the gang a bit.. Seems the merchant looking fellow there should be over in the Sheriff's camp, but I will just assume that Robin has sweet talked him into joining his band of merry fellows and thus is why he is here now. 

Again I tried to paint for real with regular paints on Robin Hood, however he came out very pale and dusty. Thankfully a few glazes of Contrast paint (yes I really am addicted to them) helped even him out some. The rest of his gang were given the basic contrast treatment, and came together very nicely. The lovely chap on the right sporting the 2 finger salute will be my character in an upcoming D&D game as I try out a Human Fighter for a change. Let's see how he does there!

Late night Tuesday photos in the office vs the new display table

The Sheriff's men were a quick last minute addition here (literally just finished them Tuesday evening) to go up against Robin Hood. I am sure I am going to find a scenario for them to be used.. Though it is a lot of crossbow action here on his side, so not fully sure how Robin will do up against it all!


And finally... the big piece for this week.. The Wall!

I started a mini-blog/photo gallery of it on the FB group to show my progress. Not sure on how far along I would get considering I started it on Saturday. Consisting of 14 different pieces, and spanning 190cm in length (why not 200cm? good question.. can't answer it) and being 25cm tall (35cm+ for the gatehouse).. its a big project to jump into! 

Yeah, I had to measure it.. a few times actually! 

Though thankfully I had a mate come round on Saturday for a paint jam where we pushed each other to finish off our projects. Me with this wall and him with some Ork Dakka Jet Pilots... yeah it was quite evenly matched between us on projects (and the wall got finished first...). But a good solid 7 hours on Saturday saw all the stones painted up. Sunday another 7 hours saw the wood and roofing get done. Plus the first layers of oil washes laid down.. which sadly did next to nothing as I made them too thin overall. So the end result was just smelly walls.. 

Monday was a few hours just detailing the roof tiles, and drybrushing the walls a bit more to no avail. But Tuesday morning, in between calls at work, was the airbrushing of inks. Brown and Black inks thinned down heavily and sprayed into the shadows, cracks, crevices, and the like to add some depth and character to the wall. It was finally looking well worn and aged at this point so all the above photos were then taken as I was a bit too giddy and sleep deprived with it all being finished now. 

A quick shot of my WotR army in front of the gatehouse.
This wall is going to feature A LOT as a backdrop going forward!

And a bit of a close up on the Dwarven Wizard here for Sarah's tribute to get me to the High Adventure location. 


So overall it has been one heck of a week of painting, especially with the wall. And I have to say that I enjoyed the wall painting much more than I did the 40k terrain. Though speaking with my mate while he was around on Saturday it was more due to how I approached them that I ended up not liking the end results we believe. 

As for points.. well.. it did take a bit of work to calculate here. Especially the wall. I tried to be fair in my thinking on it. So I first worked out what the volume of a 6in cube would be. Then I measured each wall section to get its volume. A 6in cube has 216in3 within it, whereas each wall section had 300in3 as they measure 6 wide, 5 deep, and 10 high. Making them 1.39 cubes each. Being 27.77 or 28 pts each. Being 11 of them, that would be 305 pts. The gatehouse itself is a solid 4 cubes seeing as it had easy measurements ( 6 deep, 12 wide, and 12 high ). So the wall comes out to 385 pts! Solid points for terrain at last! 

Now for the full breakdown...

Wall - 385 pts
8x28mm Dwarves - 40 pts
12x28mm Robin Hood - 60 pts
16x40mm Gnoll Pack - 112 pts
Sarah's Limo - 20 pts
High Adventure Studio - 20 pts
Total - 637 pts

And not to mention that there is at least 4 squirrels here, and 2 airbrush projects happening.. posting those up will be interesting... 

I literally have no idea what I will be painting next however. Aside from potentially some more characters for this weekend's D&D game so that everyone has a character for the table.. am not sure what to tackle next. Though I doubt it will be anything like this week's results that much is for sure! 

Miniom Miles: Wow that is quite the points hall - love the "Wall"

34 comments:

  1. Just bloody brilliant mate. The wall is epic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That wall almost broke me over the weekend, but am really happy on how it turned out in the end. It had a turning point once I began to airbrush in the shadows to it... before that it was looking quite flat...

      Delete
  2. Well done Kyle. Terrain can be a chore sometimes, so we'll done on getting it done. Love the dwarfs. Dwarfs flying across the room? Nobody tosses a dwarf!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. It wasn't so much a chore this time, as I was able to put time aside and really get on with it. Though I was questioning myself on if I was on the right path. The last terrain set really threw me for a loop there I guess...

      As for dwarf tossing... it all comes down to whether or not you have consent... and if you sign the NDA afterwards :D

      Delete
  3. Impressive, most impressive!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mega-entry indeed. Brillant painting and amazing care for detail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate. I was stuck at home with minimal work so was able to crack on with a lot of things because of it. Happy with the outcome for sure!

      Delete
  5. That wall is just stunning Kyle and I love what look like a Robin Hood group - just superb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate. And indeed it is Robin Hood and his merry men. Alongside some ruffians to hold them back.

      Delete
  6. Brilliant work Kyle. So much to enjoy here. Love Robin Hood's gang and the wall is gobsmacking. Need to talk to you about those...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt. The gang was fun to paint but the wall was the main goal this past weekend. Need to print off a lot more buildings to fill out a nice tables worth. Though I suspect more wall sections are.in my future 😅

      Delete
  7. You appear to be on a mission from God, and he will be impressed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin. His holiness days hi btw 😅🤣 But am just trying to ride the wave of painting mojo as much and as far as I can..

      Delete
  8. Awesome work Kyle, love the wall and the Fantasy figure have great vibrant colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really starting to find my stride with regards to painting and to get a more vibrant colours.. especially for fantasy pieces. Glad it's coming out well enough for others to notice! 👍

      Delete
  9. That wall is absolutely amazing, but I really like the Dwarves! I backed that KS too (love supportless miniatures, the Arbiter minis are great), but have not printed them so it is nice to see them painted up so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and yeah, I can confirm that they have printed up flawlessly.. though seeing his latest video it seems he is going to be moving away from supportless and to a presupported setup... let's see how that goes..

      Delete
  10. All awesome, but that wall...smashing work, Kyle! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin. Am quite chuffed on how it came out in the end.. pre weathering it was looking pretty sad..

      Delete
  11. Fantastic piece of terrain. Definitely, the great wall this year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Superb Kyle, a fabulous piece of terrain and miniatures !

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. Now to figure out a game ( or several ) where it can be used!

      Delete
  13. That is a great wall, most impressive and it just possibly planted an inspirational seed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear! Would love to see what comes of the inspirtthen!

      Delete
  14. The Dwarven Wizard is super .. love the blue colour on her staff and orb, suitably magickal-looking :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. Thought it was a bit different there considering dwarves don't normally have wizards.

      Delete
  15. Wow! That is one massive wall. Well done,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Fred..now to figure out how to get it into a game or something soon 😅

      Delete
  16. Very impressive! I particularly like the merry men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did come out quite well in the end. Really happy with the results more so when I went back at them with the contrast paints..

      Delete
  17. Brilliant and Bloody Big entry - more points than many of us will rack up in the whole challenge. The wall looks fab and the minis are marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am amazed by the wall. one of the bet things I think I've ever seen

    ReplyDelete