Tuesday 10 January 2023

From DaveD - "Stay in the boat!" - PBR and crew (45 points)

 Along with getting some VC done I have also managed to get the Patrol Boat, River completed. The PBR is by Empress miniatures and comes with the crew to depict the film Apocalypse Now. They are really good figures , and the boat was nicely cast too. I am using the Empress ones for this as Gringos don't currently do some suitable  , and I am not worried about the size mismatch as they will be suitably separate on the table.

 

Twin 50 cal and surfboard to the front 


a 50 cal ,  M60 and grenade launcher to the rear.

 

I magnetised the canopy so it can used with or without it  and so you  can see the chief driving the boat 


I am very pleased with the end result of the waves and wake.

There are 4 full crew and the half one manning the twin 50 cal . I made a shim from XPS to lift the front of the boat to indicate a bit more speed. The wake and waves were made from a combination of  hot glue and "Dogs Bollocks" sticks to everything crystal clear adhesive applied using a cartridge gun. - many thanks to Ken - Yarkshire Gamer  for the handy little tutorial on his channel - the one for making shell splashes.

Having done this one I fancy getting another as I found a video with one with flamethrower !  doh! 

The river mat is one of two I had made up by Deepcut Studios , each is  600x2400 and has a brown tinge to it as we used it for the Nile with the Sudan collection . 

So points

1 28mm Vehicle = 20 points

4.5 x 28mm figures - 22.5

So  42.5 for my total and the NeverEnding Cold War side dual 


That PBR is fantastic, Dave! I've added a couple of bonus points for the "dog's bollocks".

Tamsin


38 comments:

  1. I really love this, now you need a water skier

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great Dave, you'll just have to get a boat with a flamethrower now. Go on you know you want to :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous! So much to admire here. Love the wave effect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic work Dave. This is my fav entry this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Basic Tamiya olive drab rattle can and various wash and highlight . I sometimes think it’s a little too light , but overall I like it !

      Delete
  6. Unsurprisingly, I love it and the fact that you were faithful to the crewing as well. "It may have been my mission, but it sure as Hell was the Chief's Boat". Now you need a guy on the bow with a "Grape Purple" smoke grenade doing the Purple Haze thing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bloody beautiful mate, Loving the jet boat splash’s too they came out very nicely!

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great boat, Dave, the water effect is really good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That came out really good! And super quick also! Weren't you working on that on Friday night? Damn! All around excellent work there Dave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed . I was surprised how quickly I can together . It was a few morning sessions , let it dry then do some on the evening

      Delete
  10. Great boat and really appreciated seeing the wip shots on the Discord channel

    ReplyDelete
  11. The boat is amazingly good! Awesome painting and the base is fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks great, especially your wake. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi great modelling and you really created a fantastic final effect.
    Cheers Jez T

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fab work Mr D, the wake truly is the dogs bollocks. I also like that you lifted the bow to give an impression of speed and the crew are aces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had to be done . Didn’t think it looked right without it

      Delete
  15. Splendid looking PT boat! It looks ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the characters and the surfboard and the water effects- excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Great work - makes me want to rewatch the film. Director's cut or original cut?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brilliant work Dave. You've done the boat and crew in the film justice with this entry., Absolutely splendid. "Stay in the boat..", indeed!

    ReplyDelete