Monday 30 January 2023

KenR : 28mm Italian Wars Swiss Shot (80pts)

 

Considering it was supposed to be my main Project for this Challenge, getting my first unit done for the Italian Wars after 5 weeks of this years event is pretty poor 😆 but then as my other post this week shows I've been side tracked with boats and ships as well as other things. But here it is, the first of hopefully many Italian Wars units before March 21st.

My first job is to finish off a couple of units that I should have done a while back. This is a shot unit of 4 bases, 2 in the red and yellow of the Canton of Bern and the other in the Black and White of Basel-Stadt. These are the respective shot sleeves for the Swiss Pike I did a year or so ago and there has been an empty space in the box waiting for these for a while.

There are 4 bases each with 4 figures on, 8 Bern and 8 Basel-Stadt for a total of 16 figures and at 5pts a pop for 28mm foot that's a welcome 80 points. The figures as I'm sure you recognise the figs as Perry Miniatures from the Mercenary Plastic Box Set with the odd additional metal head.

Next up for the Italian Wars will be a unit of Borgia Light Cavalry to fill another gap in a storage box and then I will make a start on the Spanish.


I'd give you heck about taking so long to get to these boys Ken, but I've been enjoying your naval distractions.  Really nice looking shot here, you've managed to capture the colour of the period with some nice grittiness.  I also really like the basing.  The Perry kits for this period are good figures and he metal heads really add to the mix.  IIRC the tall feathers are plastic, I always worry how long they will stay attached.

33 comments:

  1. These are brilliant. I love the fancy trousers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely the age of fancy trousers 😁

      Delete
  2. Fabulous looking shotte, Ken! You've done Bern and Basil-Stadt proud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoyed seeing these - looking forward to the Spanish later on .....
    Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great lookimg bunch- I am impressed by your stirpes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Splendid looking Swiss! Love that box set, so much I just bought another one, do I need it? Not really but it's my favourite Perry plastic box set, these look great with the additional Perry metal Swiss heads!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could build as small wall with the boxes of Mercenaries I've got 😆

      Delete
  6. Very nice work on these Swiss, Ken, very diverse yet recognisable as a unit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great stuff as always Ken. That Mercenary box set has to be one of the most useful boxes ever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful. Stripes make my eyes water and I applaud anyone mad enough to take them on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's always great to see more of your Italian Wars project, Ken. These are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great stuff Ken, I think the basing in 4s and 2 ranks adds nice depth - do you base for a particular rule set or for anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to base stuff how I want it to look and then change the rules to fit the basing I've done 😁 with the Italian Wars I've put everything bar Artillery and Command on the same size base, it makes ordering bases easy 😆

      Delete
  12. Lovely brushwork Ken. My money's on the Spanish if it came to a shoot out ;.) :.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Spanish will probably be hiding behind something as well 😁

      Delete
  13. Nice work, Ken! I like how the colors are sharp like a Rembrandt being dark and between dirty and freshly clean. They look excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Renaissance Army should look like it would smell 😉

      Delete
  14. Everyone should own some fancy pants. Great work and beautiful. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like a night out at the Disco in the 70s 😆

      Delete
  15. A slightly different dazzle camo! Great work!
    TomC

    ReplyDelete