Monday 30 January 2023

From PaulSS: WWII US armoured support -- 40pts

The US Infantry battalion I'm painting for O Group gets some heavy support this week. I ordered some tanks and armoured cars from Pendraken and also picked up field armour, crewmen, stowage, additional machine guns and clutter to personalize them.


The M4s come with sealed hatches, so I drilled them out so I could add a commander and then punched a piece of thin plasti-card cut in half for the open hatches.


Each tank is individual, I added additional field armour, stowage and crewmen to make each one unique.


The models are supplied without pintle machine guns, fortunately Pendraken do a pack of them too. 


To support the M4s with anything that their 75mm guns cannot deal with I added a pair of M10 tank destroyers.


Again I added crewmen, machine guns and stowage.


If you cannot find the enemy you cannot engage them so a pair of M8 armoured cars join the force.
 


These are probably the worst models of the batch and take a lot of cleaning up.


Also on this order I added a .50cal team to support the infantry as there is not one in the Victrix infantry set.


There are only a few pieces left for the US force and then I'll make a start on the Germans.

Eight 10mm vehicles with 10 crewmen and a gun adds another 36 points to my total (10mm stuff seems to get a raw deal in the scoring stakes)

Squirrel Duel Tally: 3 (40K Kroot, Gaslands, WW2 US)


Great work on this US Armour Paul.  I don't think I have the patience to drill out hatches or add plastic card hatches, mugs or storage at this scale.  The work has certainly paid off and the end result looks wonderful.  Also love the 50 cal nestled in the underbrush.

Having painted 10mm in past Challenges, I agree with your comments on the scoring.  But while mine is not to question why, I can add a few points to round up up for the extra detailing.

18 comments:

  1. These are lovely, some great detail work for the scale and excellent basing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work on these Paul. The extra additions to the vehicles really pay off.

    I agree re: the scoring for 10mm. We'll amend it for the next bash - I'm glad Peter added some extra points.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great lookingextra detailed armour!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super 10mm work Paul, very impressed by the customization and the neat basing -- and I heartily echo the skimpy scoring for 190mm vehicles (says he with a batch of them next in line)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely paint job and great conversions, you’re a brave man indeed. But the result is marvellous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice indeed - the detailing adds a lot of character

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely looking armour and recon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This scale is really coming along.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab work Paul and a great touch to drill out some hatches and add a commander; it adds character and interest- and of course, they are now unique :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. These rival 28mm scales. Great work. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice little US motor pool here, very characterful with the individual customisations!

    ReplyDelete