Monday 30 January 2023

Monday's Offerings From the Big Easy

 


I am at a weekend Actuarial Education meeting in N'awlins this weekend, with Monday being my travel day home.  Regina being the back of beyond, travel is an all day process.  Haul out you atlas and play along with me. 
  • Regina ->Vancouver->Houston->New Orleans; and then 
  • New Orleans-> Houston->Toronto->Regional.  
Hopefully I post all of the posts from our Monday crew that are in Ready mode.  

New Orleans was home to Mark Twain, William Faulkner, Tenneesee Williams, Truman Capote and the Snow Lord at various times.  It was also the scene of the infamous Cutesy Shoes caper, one of the admitted crimes of Ne'er-do-well and suspected mass murderer MilesR. 

Last night had the first Mardi Gras parade of the year (funny I thought Mardi Gras was a single Tuesday...), lots of people with amazing costumes, some in nowhere nearly enough clothes and most of them consuming waaaay too much alcohol.  And I was here with my colleagues creating upcoming exams in Advanced Short Term Actuarial Mathematics and wait for it ..Advanced Long Term Actuarial Models.  

As of Sunday we look to have the following posts.

  • Sylvain stays with WW2 micro-armour but starts with a new project and a new army.
  • Ken brings another amazing ship and a ship load of shotte.
  • Darrell has some more tasty Byzantine cavalry.
  • Ed has some Amazons
  • Paul has some more of his very nice O Group project.
As might be expected there's been a lot of good music on the streets and coming from local bars in the French Quarter.  I offer up a tune from one of my favourite Louisiana born artists.  A whole ton of hurtin' and some very nice guitar work here....



11 comments:

  1. FYI because I am en route most of the day, I updated the Spreadsheet of Doom (SSOD) and posted projected scores for end of day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Query, Peter....how many glasses of Hurricanes does it take to impede calculations of mathematical formulas? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likely only one, but I did not experiment. I’d rather a Hurricane than a Hand Grenade any day

      Delete
  3. Safe return journey, Peter! It seems that you are very well qualified to calculate your probable life expectancy having publicly revealed that information about MilesR... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is so lacking in shame that he freely admits his crimes of breaking and entering to obtain said cutesy shoes.

      Delete
    2. I was referring to the mass murders; I was fully cognizant that he would be brazen enough to openly admit to the footwear thing. ;)

      Delete
    3. He had the chance to dump me in the Chesapeake with concrete overshoes when I stayed with him a few years back.

      Delete
  4. We applaud your sacrifice of behalf of actuarial mathematicians everywhere. But for the likes of you Peter surely the MilesR types of the world would have won by now and we'd all be living in some sort of dystopian hell. Oh, wait...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your trip is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Safely home and sort of awake. Six flights in later January and not a single one late.

      Delete