Sunday 8 January 2023

From StuartL - Turning Up With Turnips - Lady Sarah's Limousine - 98 Points

For my second entry this week, I need to hop into the limousine. Actually, I don't, the next part of the studio I'll be visiting is right next to the Sci-Fi section. But as I clearly want to put the 'mad' into PriMA-Donna, I'll be making use of the service and travelling in style. 

To pay for my ride, I offer this female paladin model from Reaper Bones (you can tell by the bendy great-sword). She may not be the ideal picture of femininity, but you'd definitely want her on your side when facing down a group of rampaging orcs or festering ghouls.


With my fee paid, I'm going to take a quick detour from my trip round the AHPC Studio and post up my first entry for the Turnip28 side duel. 

I had heard about this game a while back and even picked up a copy of the rules, but I hadn't really given it much thought. When Curt posted the duel I decided to go back and have a deeper look at it and I have to say, it looks like a lot of fun. I immediately started rummaging through bits boxes and old sprue piles and managed to come up with a handful of spare Victrix bodies and some Perrys' heads. I quickly slapped them together along with a few other bits and pieces, as well as some static grass and putty to create a unit of Fodder. Fodder are the common infantry of the game, conscripted from the great unwashed masses and sent into glorious battle to die a horrible and squishy death.


Painting wise, I started from a brown undercoat and roughly overbrushed them with the desired colours, followed by a quick wash of Sepia to dirty them up and dull them down.


The command group consists of a drummer, two bog-pipers and a standard bearer holding the regimental colours. The colours have seen better days, but they remain a point of pride in the unit and are proudly carried into battle at the head of the column.


The rank and file are quite rank indeed, with numerous root related growths and mutations. The majority of the men have taken to wearing kilts as the campaign diet means that only the quickest or bravest of men want to wear something you have to take off before an 'incident'.

For the scores.
13x 28mm minis @5 points = 65 Points
1 Limousine ride @20 points = 20 Points

Total = 85 Points

My side duels:
Squirrels - 10 Anglo-Saxons, Vikings, Dwarves, Fire Giants, WW2 Polish, Daemons, Viridians, Vasa, Junkers, Turnips

Skullz - 1

Turnips - 60 Points

Coming up next, the 80's!

OK, what the hell is going on with all this Turnip malarkey. I have a choice, do I dive in or remain baffled. This is some really excellent scratch building work, bonuses have been awarded. I didn't realise they weren't off the shelf buys. You have nailed the look, I think

16 comments:

  1. The more we progress in the Challenge, the more bizarre this porject looks to me. Having said that, good painting work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good looking Fodder, I like the colours. Turnip seems to be on the fly this year, but I'll stick to Sludge. There was lots of Silver Bayonet in last Challenge, but it seems to dried?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. "Bog-pipers" made me laugh so thanks for that Stuart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Curiouser and curiouser, said Alice. I love the creativity in producing these, Stuart, and you did a fine job painting them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice "fodder", Stuart! :)

    @ Martin - stay baffled is my advice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice walking veg Stuart. I am becoming comfortable with my bafflement Martin. Plus I get to play with Curts looney side dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the humanity or should I say the vegetables. Who next will be dragged into the tuberous confines of the veggie plot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving the Turnip 28 mayhem. Well done Stuart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. More vegetables for the vegetable god Stuart, they look great! Liking your paladin also

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice paintwork, looks like about a 65 flex on that sword! Reaper bendy resin, grrr.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking Fodder (the kilts are inspired). The lass is great as well (reminds me of a Sister of Battle).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, nice female paladin … definitely a Boss Lady!

    ReplyDelete