Sunday 8 January 2023

From: SebastianR Captured Armour (44pts) World Cinema

My initial project is taking a while. Like a snake digesting a meal larger than it's head, I fear that it may take a while to be done, perhaps longer than I have in order to meet the deadline.

In order to stake my claim and make said deadline, I present this stopgap, itself made out of stopgaps; three T-34's captured, and pressed into Finnish service.

A friend of mine picked these up at a trade show as T-34's pressed into German service, which I repainted with a mucky, whitewashed, winter scheme. I've decided to follow the Finnish three part camo for armour they acquired through the normal route - from allied, axis or neutral partners, and whitewash over soviet green for captured vehicles. Ironically the technique calls for a green wash over white. I like it, it's simple and effective and makes them look very used.

The figures are a weird bunch; the turrets have been attached in unique ways and one of the hulls is clearly from a different manufacturer. I'd like to think that their previous owner was experimenting with this ersatz unit too.

I've thrown them into the World Cinema category as they do meet the written definition, of being from somewhere I'm not, but I did have a quick look into the Finnish WW2 film industry. The list available on wikipedia seems quite slim; perhaps this is simply one of the many less trafficked areas of wikipedia or perhaps the Finnish film industry hasn't produced quite as much about the Winter and Continuation Wars as one might expect.

World Cinema is, as I understand it, a Hollywood euphemism for films that non-Americans make, but to me it always feels like world cinema means films that eschew the conventions of western film making as a whole. It feels weird to me to put say, the Harry Potter series or Pans Labyrinth in the World Cinema pigeon hole. All this is to say I am curious about the Finns own approach to capturing WW2 on film. Are they loud and nationalistic like many of the old Allies films, particularly the Russian ones? Are they gloomy and introspective like Fury or Dunkirk? If you've got any good recommendations please drop them in the comments.

By my reckoning that should be 44pts. 20 for the challenge and 3x 15mm vehicles.

You may notice some pixilation on the turrets. This is due to the application of the Finnish Hooked Cross, a swastika in Finnish service that predates the rise of the Nazi party and that has nothing to do with the Nazis. Nevertheless, I have no interest in getting into discussion around the politics of displaying swastikas that are not Nazi swastikas. With apologies to our Finnish runners and readers. Thank you for your understanding.

I absolutely love these, great paint job and nice back story. For me world cinema generally has subtitles, so that could include Trainspotting, as American style has pretty mich infected most nations cinema style. Americans do tend to tell exciting stories well. 
Note to all other Sunday slumberers. I fundamentally agree with Seb's position on on showing the Swastika variant. If you have plans to paint figs with Swastikas and want to show them clearly (not blurred out), I also fundamentally agree with your plan to do so. This is a forum for showing your cool figures and not to discuss politics. 

19 comments:

  1. Hi Sebastian, this is a wiki page of Finnish war movies, in Finnish: https://fi.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luettelo_suomalaisista_sotaelokuvista
    I hope you can use google translator and Imdb to get more details. As you can see, there are not that many movies. We lost the wars and it is not easy subject to all. I'd say the movies are mostly realistic snd tragic. Even though we lost, we kept our independence and veterans are highly respected.
    And the Finnish swastikas, it is one of topics every now and then, should it still be used or not. Complicated issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll spam your post, but here is a link to the Finnish Armour museum, quite a lot pictures and texts also in English. I visited it last summer.
    https://www.panssarimuseo.fi/en/front-page

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your second hand models work well as second hand tanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely weathering Sebastian. Good to see models getting a new lease of life

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely weathered tanks, Sebastian! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting subject and a great take on the theme. I think the tanks look very good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great kickoff. The AFVs look superb. The story lays a great theme begging for scenarios. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking armour unit. Thanks for the hint for winter camo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great painting and weathering on thiose vehilces. Interesting your comment on the Swastika. Last Tuesday, in my own Challenge's post I had a PzIV with an aerial recon flag (red with a white cirlce and the swastika) and I was also thinking to the last minute whether to erase digitally or not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely little trio of tanks, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic weathering on those tanks Sebastian

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great work on those

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent work, Sebastian. I like the faded whitewash effect. Frankly I don't think you needed to blur the insignia. My position is that this these things are a part of history, and ignoring them makes no sense (and I believe is dangerous in of itself). Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your white wash turned out great, excellent effect (even though it is a green wash 😄).

    ReplyDelete