Thursday 2 February 2023

From ByronM: Turnip 28 Fodder + Water Tower (70 points)

For this weeks submission I present a unit of Fodder for Turnip28.  Curt introduced me to this odd ball quirky game last time I was out there visiting, and I decided I had to do up at least one unit to play around with some of the cool looking 3d models out there.

Since I wanted to be painting and not converting during the painting challenge, I grabbed a set of the really cool models from Knucklebones over on Patreon, and got to printing.  I also printed a pile of mushrooms to go along with them and cut a base on the laser that can be found here: Northern Lights Terrain.

I wanted to keep these figures a little brighter than the normal T28 models (although not as bright as some of Curts figures) and having always wanted to paint up some British Napoleonics but never gotten around to it, figured I would go with some red coats.  I did grime everything up after painting them, so they are not super bright and clean, but hopefully kept enough of the colours to show details.  Being red, I figured I may as well go with the mighty Radish as the holy root vegetable for this unit.

After painting all the figures I got down to the extra little details like painting the mushrooms some off colours to add some pop (an idea again stolen from Curt), and then painting up a banner.  The banner is something I am horrible at, I am not an artist in any way and can not draw.  So I looked up some images of radishes and thought my best bet would be trying to do a water colour looking radish.  While not very well done as seen below in its base form, I think it looks ok once it has been all damaged and dirtied up.


Also for this submission is a piece of terrain that I printed a little while ago to fit into any number of games, a wood water tower.  This was super simple to paint using scale75 instant colours and some bronze and red from vallejo.  I then went looking for some art to slap on it and figured what better than a positive message for a change... so picked up some "Elon for President" posters (even though I hate Tesla's as soulless abominations of cars)!  It should make many appearances in games around here.

As for points, it should work out to:

12x 28mm models @ 5 points = 60 points
6"x3"x3" terrain = 1/4 of a cube = 5 points? seems low, but whatever, points don't really matter anyway...

From TeemuL: I guess this is the first Turnip infestation we have on our Thor's Day group, but since it comes originally from the Snowlord, we must accept it. I know this setting divides people in this Challenge, at least jokingly. I haven't touched them, I stand firmly in the Sludge camp...

But the models, they do look great! The mushrooms are a nice touch and the banner is worth some points, it may no be pretty, but it shows some courage to step outside of the comfort zone. The water tower is missing a base? Or is standing on concrete, perhaps. The terrain scoring is difficult, I'll give you 5, but add couple of points for the banner and mushrooms.

24 comments:

  1. Oh man, these look fabulous, Byron! Not surprisingly, I do like the brighter colours with these guys. Great figures aside, I have to say I love what you did for your banner. That is awesome, the design is excellent and the 'fineal' is inspired. I look forward to seeing this unit on the table when we next get together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, it was a lot of fun to work on this unit, even if it didn't come out how I had it pictured in my head. Now for a few more units, if I can get through some of my other projects that have me stymied...

      Delete
  2. Oh dear, another Challenge stalwart has fallen victim to this root vegetable infection...

    Nice work on the "fodder" and the water tower, Byron! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All must worship the root!

      Thanks Tamsin ;-)

      Delete
  3. Great work Byron!! Fantastic stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff Byron, love the banner and radish finial. Also love President Elon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Teemu, yeah I purposely left the base of the tower in concrete grey so that it could fit in as many places as possible terrain wise. Although it does make it odd in an old west setting, but equally odd for it to have a grass base on my concrete city matt.... compromises....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you need two watertowers! One for Elon and another for someone else

      Delete
  6. I'm following Curt and you on this crazy Turnip project. I tell myself these guys are nuts; but I cannot stop watching your submissions. They have some sort of magnetic attraction

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that banner Byron and the mushrooms are a great touch

    ReplyDelete
  8. That unit is so good its a ra(d)vishing unit

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these, definitely worthy of the radish banner

    ReplyDelete
  10. The banner is superb mate! Love the red coats too. The less said about Elon the better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice looking redcoats dude, they certainly can't be beet

    ReplyDelete
  12. Redcoats as (cannon) fodder? Hmm… But they look absolutely awesome, the basing is great with the mushrooms and the banner is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice work, great banner!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I understand plant based food is increasingly popular and now it seems plant based miniatures are… taking root…
    I’ll see myself out
    TomC

    ReplyDelete
  15. These Turnip post keep leaving me flabbergasted... I do not know what astonishes me most: that there are people who come up with ideas like the turnip world or people like you who are so creative as to make such gorgeous, if disturbing, miniatures depicting it's world...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am right there with you Sander.... The first time Curt told me about this game, I was like "WTF are you talking about Curt? Why are you talking about a game about root vegetables and Napoleon?", but then I tried it to humour him, as I make him try all sorts of weird shit too, and it turned out to be a lot of fun!

      Delete
  16. Nice work, Byron. I am enjoying the T28 submissions as an unholy union of Labrynth and John Blanche. These are just fabulous in rendition. I hope they are as useful on the table as they are to view!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great looking animated vegetables and tower!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  18. Liking those root veggies….

    ReplyDelete