Thursday 2 February 2023

From AndrewB: More Spanish-American War Naval! (Books) (65pts)

This week I’ve been chipping away at more ironclad warships for my 1/600 naval floor game coming up at March to Victory in Kansas City at the end of March!  These Old Glory ships are delightful, even with the usual challenges of resin castings. I’ve got all these miniatures painted in 1/1200, but the size of these larger models really should give a great feeling to a game where we’re measuring ranges in yards!   The game was partly inspired by the book ‘The Splendid Little War’ by Frank Feidel, which is a fantastic piece of writing which will certainly lead the discerning wargamer into a multitude of scenario ideas.  

First, we have the Armored Cruiser Brooklyn, which is frankly enormous.  I’m still working on establishing a color I like for the works and deck of these American ships, but I’m liking these more than the first attempts.  

Next, the first Armored Cruiser commissioned into the US Navy, the USS New York.  I really like the midships wing guns on this ship, and how you can really start to see the pre-dreadnaught design elements!  

Lastly, we have the heroic flagship of the Battle of Manila, the USS Olympia!  This delightful small Armored Cruiser sports the same twin 8” gun turrets as the previous two ships, crammed into a hull that doesn’t give away such a powerful main armament.  

Next up for this particular project will be the Spanish ships, so stay tuned for them in the coming weeks!  

As for points, I believe we were scoring these as Black Seas ships at 15pts each, with the Book studio bringing the total to 65.  I’m only a couple rooms away from the Director’s Chair, so here we come!

From TeemuL: More of these bulky ships, Andrew, but could we have more photos from different angles in the future? I'm sure some evil minion would give you only half points after assuming you have painted only one half of the ship! :) You are making a great progress at the Challenge Studio and in your personal point Challenge, keep going!

12 comments:

  1. Wonderful looking ship of iron, Andrew! As you say those wing-turrets are so iconic of the period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh man these are wonderful. Now I want to go back to my own still born SPW project. First time round I tried hand carving the ships from basswood, not this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! Make sure you share some pics of the game. I've wanted to play something of that scale for years. Are you using the Fletcher Pratt rules?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice indeed, I look forward to seeing the Spanish ships.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are wonderful, Andrew! I like the decking and all the errant bits and bobs on the deck. The older ships may be clunky, but are more charming than the state of the art ships of today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Splendid looking predreadnoughts! They look ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Splendid stuff, I do like the white paint scheme

    ReplyDelete
  8. These ships look great. They will look impressive on the table (floor?).

    ReplyDelete