Thursday 2 February 2023

From Codsticker: Horsin' Aroun' (56pts)

Most war gamers I know don't painting horses, but I really enjoy painting cavalry. It may have to do with my career choice: 


So this entry is an all mounted affair:


First up are some 15mm Sassanid light horse archers:


The scourge of the Eastern Romans in the twilight of their empire; they are lots of fun for Sassanid commander; not so much for the poor Roman general 😈



I am not sure the make; they were part of a second hand batch I bought online. Fun little models to paint and I particularly like that the sculptor accurately portrayed the drawing fingers.


Next up are two Mounted Saxon Thegns in 28mm.


These are from Bob Murch's 1066 Kickstarter. I will be using them in either Saga or Lion Rampant.



Really wonderfull figures, great castings.


Last but not least another addition to the Variags of Khand; this time a chieftain in a chariot.


I actually prepped, assembled and primed this after starting the challenge which was a waste of precious hobby time when there is a points total to be met. 


I may do another one near the end of the challenge but at this time it is still in a shrink wrapped box; so probably only if there is no chance of me meeting my target (which, at this point, I am on pace to miss).


My point tally is based on the chariot counting as a vehicle (which it is... technically) however I recognise that may not be the case for AHPC purposes..

4 mounted 15mm figures at 4 pts each= 16
2 mounted 28mm figures at 10 pts each= 20
1 28mm vehicle at 20pts each= 20
Total= 56

From TeemuL: I'm the one, who didn't like painting horses, but nowadays with Contrast paints (or similar), they are not that hard. I guess the problem for me was that they were big and it was difficult to paint between the legs etc... And they have all those leather straps here and there, which I don't know what they are. :D But Contrasts have made my life easier. And I do assemble and prime during the Challege, those are the tasks I really don't like, so there won't be enough primed minis at the start of the Challenge to last til the end.

But enough of me, let's take a look the minis. Yes, they are all mounted, different scales, different themes. They are beautiful, very nice. I believe you like painting horses. Chariots have been scored as vehicles in the past, at least sometimes, so I'll go with that. Some say, that chariot is 20 points and each horse is 5, and the driver is another 5... But I'll include the horses in the vehicle section, so that is 20 points, but I give you 5 for the driver. Hand painted shields, banner, let's say 65 in total.


13 comments:

  1. From one person who enjoys painting horses to another - lovely cavalry and chariotry! :)

    @Teemu - you might find it easier to paint horses if you paint them normally, rather than with your arms between your legs! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoy them! I don't enjoy the riders so much in 28s as I paint them separate to make the furniture easier to paint. Yours are lovely sir!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely horse flesh! I always enjoy painting nags, the colour combinations and markings give you some freedom of expression. As a teen I watched a lot of horsey events with my mum and took note of the various shades of horse, when not focusing on young ladies backsides while perched on said horses…..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don’t like painting horses, as Teemu says all the straps and the tack confuse me, but these are great! The chariot came out very well indeed and I like the thegns a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! I've never had a problem with horses. Vehicles, however...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice horses . I always enjoy painting em

    ReplyDelete
  7. that chariot is fantastic, great job all round

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you everyone for the nice remarks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work! The painting isn't to shoddy either, saw what I did tere? It was a dad joke according to Arthur ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really nice work on the horses and a great chariot

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the cavalry in different scales! They are all wonderful and I live the variety in color especially on the horses. I myself don't particularly mind painting horses....infantry is just better than cavalry! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually enjoy painting horses, and enjoy marking up the legs and nose the most

    ReplyDelete