Thursday 2 February 2023

From GeoffreyT: A Menagerie (Fantasy)(78 points)

Hello Challengers,

In my youth I loved the CS Lewis books, the pictures with assembled hordes of fantasy creatures of all kinds were my favourite part.  Since then I have been a fan of varied fantasy monsters, and have a ridiculous amount of miniatures of this type.  The modern skirmish games also allow me to put these creatures on the table.

Here is a batch of monsters and adventurers I have assembled for this post.

Lets see what they are. First up we have the laughing man.  A creature from the Forbidden Psalm expansion "In the footsteps of the mad wizard".


The laughing man's laugh is contagious and lethal.  I sculpted him from polymer clay and am pleased with the pose and face.  The belly is a good size for a belly laugh.

Also from the aforementioned supplement we have "tapeworm terrors".   I don't know what they do in game yet, but I'm sure its unpleasant.  These guys are made from beads with spikes of green-stuff.

They are lurching out of the swamp water ready to do whatever they do ...

For dungeons and dragons we have some more home sculpts, classic level 1 adventurer tropes, a human wizard and half orc fighter.  

The wizard has a broom as a makeshift staff and oversized robe, inspired by Mickey Mouse in the sorcerer's apprentice movie.


Here are two home made D&D monstrous oozes; a black budding and yellow ochre.  

Simple scratch builds, being hot glue blobs on a piece of wire.  I copied this from You-tube channel Wyloch's Armoury.  Better not leave these in a hot car.

They are accompanied a home sculpted evil fighter in insectoid armour, made from Fimo polymer clay.  There is a floating skull from the bitz box that could be Acecerak the Demi-Lich from the infamous "Tomb of Horrors".  

How about some commercial sculpts now.   These two are a grim reaper and a ghost thing from Slave2gaming. 

I loved how the ghosty bits blended into the ground on these pieces, so did them black with a tad of brown blending from base and purple blending from the top.

And lastly, some venerable orc miniatures from long defunct company Heartbreaker


Green and gruesome as orcs are.

So what is this lot worth in points ?

There are thirteen 28mm scale miniatures in this lot.  The two oozes are prone as they don't have legs, and the skull is quite small.

10 x 28mm foot = 50 points

2 x prone 28mm figs = 5 points

1 x a skull = 0.5 point (its like a 6mm fig I suppose)

1 x fantasy studio bonus = 20 points

Grand total = 75.5


Boy I do like my fantasy figures, why not duck into the gift-shop and get one for a friend, I wonder what I will find? 

Geoff.

From TeemuL: I'm quite speechless when it comes to minioning these self-sculpted monsters and heroes. The skills and imagination needed there is something I'm not capable of, so I'm just enjoying. The commercial sculpts are excellent, too. I like the ghosts "emerging" from the ground, a very nice effect, like you said, and the classic green orcs with cobblestone bases are great. I'll round-up your point total a bit, 78 was a good year and it will be a good points amount.

14 comments:

  1. A great submission today. I admire your ability (and creativity) to sculpt these small models

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely bunch of minis, Geoff! Great sculpting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. Has been fun making them, I'm keen to keep it up and see what I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so full of character and wonderfully painted! Great work all around

    ReplyDelete
  5. So jealous of these self sculpts, they are awesome. Was playing with clay with my son this week and tried making a squig. Ended up looking like something from Morph.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous work, Geoff! I love your Laughing Man and the 1st Level Wizard. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the home made figures! That purple worm is awesome and Laughing man looks like Wallace the inventor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great sculpting and painting, Geoff! Your creativity and skill continue to amaze me. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool. The tapeworms are superb and I'm going to steal that idea I think!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent sculpting and painting!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful work, Geoff! I love your sculpting for the humanoids especially the laughing man and the fresh new adventurers. Hopefully nobody sneezes on the Wizard!

    ReplyDelete