Friday 10 March 2023

From Curt: Objective Markers for Turnip28 (25 Points)

 

Hey there!

This will probably be my last Turnip entry for the Challenge. Yes, yes, I know that there will be more than a few who will be muttering, 'It's about &*$#ing time!', but I have to say that I've had a tremendous amount of fun working on this project over the winter months. It's all horses for courses, right?

Turnip28 is focused on seizing and holding objectives. These are usually scattered around the battlefield, often nestled in tricky locations, all for opposing forces to bleed each other dry over. Objectives can just be simple tokens, but I thought it would be amusing to try to make them sympathetic to the weird and disturbed setting of T28.

I felt that an outhouse would be an excellent objective. Well, perhaps not one that's as malodorous as this thunderbox, but we all know: when you go to go - you GOT to go.

I quite enjoyed doing up this Catherine Wheel. In order to make it extra creepy (yes, as if it wasn't creepy enough) I added a Hanged Man, similar to what you'd find in a tarot deck. Hmm, will capturing this objective be good luck or bad?

Nothing like a guillotine to give you that reeal close shave. Also really handy for chopping carrots!

An abandoned trench pony. This poor little fella's a bit woebegone, with his heavy burden of victuals and war materiel. I'm sure any unit would be delighted to have him in their ranks.

And finally, a beloved piano for the troops to gather around, singing songs of long lost lentils and new found parsnips. Looks like it needs a bit of TLC, and perhaps a good tuning.

As to points, well, the bases have a pony and two figures for 15, and let's say 10 for the rest combined?  I'm not fussed - I'll leave it to our Phabulous Minion Phil to come up with a suitable number.

Now, back to the hobby desk to see what else I can get done before the Challenge concludes.

Have a great weekend everyone!

- Curt 

Friday Minion: Aha wonderful! I love the idea of your rootkin trudging miles to blast away at each other with rusty firearms, all for the pleasure of a tinkle on a beat up, untuned piano or a quiet (?!) moment on the thunderbox. The whole set is bonkers, and entirely fitting 'the lore'.

I also hadn't really noticed your basing on these, which has a subtle, bleak look to it wit the dying plants. Perfect, more, more!

I can't argue with 25 points, seems very fair. 

16 comments:

  1. This has to be the best Turnip entry yet! Absolutely brilliantly hilariously weird. They are all splendid, but the pony really does it for me. Great job, Curt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martijn, I quite like the pony as well.

      Delete
  2. Brilliant work, Curt! :)

    Hey, @ DaveD - it looks as though the final Tuesday might be "turnip free"! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work Curt. I can imagine the slightly off tune singing around the piano, slightly muffled by the beaky helmets. Something along the lines of that classic folk tune, "Whoops where's the parsnip!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Exactly the image I had in mind. Thanks Peter.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Cheers Peter. Yes, the piano was just calling out to be an objective.

      Delete
  5. Completely crazy and a little haunting Curt, great entry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt! Just the mood I was looking for. :)

      Delete
  6. Brilliant stuff dude, just great. That Catherine Wheel...oh man...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers dude! Yeah, the Catherine Wheel is 'delightful' in a 16th century torture device kind of way. Yeeash.

      Delete
  7. Excellent work, Curt! I like them all very much. I especially like that the objectives are as characterful as the troops. Unfortunately I think I have seen that very thunderbox in Khandahar and my eyes are already watering in memory! 😳

    ReplyDelete