Wednesday 15 March 2023

From SimonM: Panzer IVs by "Battlefront Miniatures" + Books Studio Bonus (44 Points)


These three plastic 15mm Panzerkampfwagen IV tanks are sold by “Battlefront Miniatures” and can be found inside the company’s “Hit The Beach” starter set for “Flames Of War”. The models consist of three basic armoured vehicles equipped with "Bazooka Skirts", and will form part of a larger Panzer IV Tank Platoon for my German Beach Defence Company.

The medium tanks were assembled and glued straight onto some large bases before being re-primed with a double coat of "Vallejo" German Grey after an unsuccessful attempt to paint them with a camouflage colour scheme. They were then all washed with "Citadel" Nuln Oil and heavily dry-brushed with (more) "Vallejo" German Grey. Thinking the miniatures looked a tad bland and uninteresting, I subsequently gave them a lighter dry-brush of "Vallejo" Sombre Grey.

With the basics completed, I decided to 'pick out' a few of the models' details such as spades, stowage, tow-cable and extra pieces of tank-track using a combination of "Vallejo" Gunmetal and "Citadel" Nuln Oil" or "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade. In addition I painted each Panzer IV's machine gun and rear-situated muffler with "Vallejo" Gunmetal and shaded these parts in "Citadel" Nuln Oil and Agrax Eathshade respectively.

I also pigmented the tank's tracks with some "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna and daubed them with "Citadel" Rakarth Flesh so as to help blend the muddy caterpillar treads into my basing palette once 'drowned' in "Citadel" Agrax Earthshade. Finally, I applied some decals across the Panzer IV's using the guidance given in the excellent hardback book "Colours Of War" by "Battlefront Miniatures".

Having previously used Sarah's Limousine to travel to the Books Studio I thought these historical pieces would be perfect to bag my second Blue Pass by tying in to Cornelius Ryan's non-fictional book "A Bridge Too Far". As I'm sure you're aware this book was later turned into a marvellous Oscar-nominated motion picture by Sir Richard Attenborough.

Three x 15mm scale Vehicle = 24 Points

Books Studio Bonus = 20 Points

Total = 44 Points

_____________________________________________

Excellent work on these workhorse panzers, Simon, and a nice tie-in with 'A Bridge Too Far'. I actually liked the look of your early camo efforts, but I can understand wanting to try something different if you just weren't feeling it. Will you be doing more in this period?  I hope so.

- Curt

10 comments:

  1. Nice work, Simon! :)

    On an historical note (as somewhat an afficionado of Operation Market Garden), to the best of my knowledge there weren't any PzKfw IV tanks used in the 1st Airborne sector; PzKfw IIIs, Panthers, Konigstigers and Char1B Bis flamethrower tanks were present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin. I wish I'd gone with the grey to begin with tbh, as I like how these turned out. Though I do plan to try again with the camo on a future platoon.

      I did actually have a mooch to see where the Panzer IVs were during Market Garden as I was thinking about giving them the appropriate markings even though these are for a D-Day Defence Force. I did see on the Market Garden website that Major Knaust fielded some during the Battle of Arnhem as part of his Training and Replacement Regiment. But as this seemed to be an SS unit I went in a different direction.

      Delete
    2. Tamsin, you rivet-counter.... ;P

      Delete
  2. Lovely detailing on these tanks, Simon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking panzer IVs, very nice!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent AFVs. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work in these. Like Curt I liked the camo pattern. I don’t have the courage for camo so appreciate those who do

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work, Simon! I actually remember them filming at the bridge at Deventer (which is near where my grandparents lived), since the surroundings were more suitable (i.e., better preserved) than at Arnhem, which was quite the event!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great panzers! The camo scares me off trying them myself.

    ReplyDelete