Wednesday 15 March 2023

From SarahHC: Lady Sarah’s Space Yacht (8 points)


Hi Everybody!
Today, I present a luxury Space Yacht, part of Lady Sarah’s Transportation Service which was the preferred mode of transport around Chalrlenge 12 Quadrant.

After searching for a suitable 3D print, I found this steampunk inspired space ship on My Mini Factory. Thankfully, my personal 3D printer engineer agreed that this was indeed a cool ship and my print request would head to the top of the printing queue.

I wanted the yacht to be both elegant yet formidable. There also had to be an appropriate area for Chief Flight Attendant Tamsin to wheel the drinks trolley … priorities!

I do think that deck area on the Space Yacht has seen some drinks trolley-related shenanigans, but like Las Vegas - what happens on the Space Yacht stays on the Space Yacht …..

Yay! Cool space yacht printed and now to work out the paint scheme. I knew that I wanted to mash up futuristic space technologies with the classic style from the Age of Sail. So, of course that meant metallics and wood.

The space yacht was primed with gesso, then dry brushed grey, then multiple coats of ivory. Once I decided on which fiddly details would be metallic, these details were painted black (again).




I used Emerald Getaway colour shifting paint on the front and side armour panels and Toxic Purple on the exposed pipes/exhaust system. For a little fun, I added some Burning Gold colour shift paint to random parts of the HVAC system.



For the wood grain, I used Aggaros Dunes Contrast,  and on the canvas sail, a couple coats of an ivory craft paint followed by Apothecary White as a highlight.

Once again, my ambitions nearly defeated my modest painting skills. I took my time as I figured out the colours and actually paid attention when Curt offered his ideas about paint techniques. I may not have entirely followed his suggestions… but definitely paid enough attention that I feel I have learned some nifty new tricks!

Points wise, Curt suggests that this should be the equivalent of a 15mm vehicle, so that should place it at 8 points.

Thanks for reading

Happy Wednesday!

- Sarah

Cool looking Space Yacht. The colour-shift paints give it a nice SF aesthetic, good choice. One thing to bear in mind when painting is that while suggestions and advice from more experienced painters can be helpful, it is ultimately the decision of the painter how they want their finished model to look. Trying new things and finding your own favourite techniques is part of the fun.
- StuartL

24 comments:

  1. Fantastic model! Great paint work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you .. but please don’t look too closely at the photos .. you’ll see my mistakes!

      Delete
  2. That's a great looking star skiff, Lady Sarah! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you approve! Plenty of room for a drinks cart too!

      Delete
  3. Elegant and formidable indeed! A fabulous job, Sarah, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a neat little ship, Sarah! The yellow definitely suits it and I like the white sails. It is very extravagant in style and paint very appropriate for a Yacht!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks A lot Dave
      I was unsure of the white sails … but do like the overall look of high tech space meets traditional yacht😊

      Delete
  5. Excellent looking space yacht, lovely colour range!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely ship and creative colour scheme, well done Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the colours you chose for this skiff, especially the contrast of the colourshift metallics against the calming creams of the sails. It looks ready to sail the skies of Barsoom in style. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will this mean you’ll print more for me to paint?

      Delete
  8. Nice work on the space ship Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely ship. Excellent colour choices.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a lovely ship and an upgrade from the Limousine I suspect. Love the colours. Quote "I may not have entirely followed his suggestions…" Very sensible - you need to show him who really is the boss 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  11. Zoom zoom. Excellent wee ship for buzzing around any solar system. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great swooshability, as they say of Lego ships!

    ReplyDelete