Thursday 1 February 2024

From JamesM: 15mm Polish and Canadian tanks [History] (84 points)

Hi folks,

I've been picking away at the lead pile recently, having struggled a little with painting motivation since the start of the challenge. I decided to pick a few things I really wanted to paint, in an effort to get me going. So I returned to my roots, and decided to paint some tanks. 

First up, some 15mm Battlefront resin and metal Sherman DD tanks. I'd had some of these on order from Battlefront back in July 2021, and the order got cancelled. I needed the last two tanks in order to make up a full squadron, so spent a long (long long) time scouring Ebay. Thankfully at the end of last year I got lucky and picked up two new kits, while the last two unpainted models were also dug out.  

The Duplex Drive Sherman was equipped with propellers and a inflatable canvas screen, allowing it to 'swim' very slowing through water. Unlike the rest of my vehicles, these have been based with a beach style scheme. These tanks will be part of my Fort Garry Horse squadron, although markings are light due to the placement of the screens. 



The last image shows the four recently completed tanks, with the central vehicle being one I'd finished quite a while ago. 


While waiting on decent weather to be able to spray varnish the DD tanks, I started work on some A30 Challengers for my previously completed C Squadron, 10 Pulk Strzelcow Konnych (10th Mounted Rifle Regiment), 1st Polish Armoured Division Cromwell force. While these tanks weren't used in Normandy, the Poles did use them later in the NWE campaign. Adding these vehicles to my collection was a bit of a no-brainer, allowing me to represent other Cromwell forces, or use this Polish force later in the war. 



These are some of the new 15mm Battlefront plastic kits. I added a range of stowage and other bits to them, deliberately spreading the amount between very little and a lot. Some of the images from the Netherlands make these vehicles look like wild west caravans, loaded down with 'stuff' and uparmoured with various tank tracks. As my Cromwells are pretty lightly stowed, I've gone for a spread. 

Decals are my normal mix - using the last of my Polish Armoured Division markings. Otherwise, I matched the decals to my Cromwells. 


Lastly, the above photos show the new Challengers alongside one of my older, previously painted Cromwells. 

This entry marks my first 'withdrawal' from the Library, specifically from the History section. Awarding an additional 20 points. 

The eight tanks contribute 64 points (8 x 15mm vehicles). This gives a total of 84 points. 

TeemuL: 84 points it is! The new tanks look very good and if painting those has helped you with your motivation, then all the better! I've been thinking about basing my 15mm tanks, too, but so far I have not. The tanks vary so much in size, that finding a proper base might be difficult. What is your secret, do you use ready made bases or do something yourself? Are all the bases the same size or are they different for different tanks?

Back to tanks and painting, you have done a great job picking up the edges, they really pop up nicelym but still do look real. Good selection of colours, probably due the experience, I guess. I hope your motivation stays up and we see more from you!

16 comments:

  1. Great work, those DD tanks are very fine, glad you traced down the missing pieces! Cromwells are great too, my first tank was a plastic Airfix 1/32 Cromwell. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I tend to go over the top a bit with my collection, building companies/squadrons rather than 'armies', so missing those last two tanks bugged me immensely!

      Delete
  2. Thanks Teemu. I eventually went with DaveDs idea of using 60x40mm MDF bases the same style as the FoW ones for my larger vehicles. Smaller vehicles (light tanks, half-tracks, etc) I use MDF bases that match FoW 'medium' base size, while for bigger stuff (like my Sherman flail tanks) I order custom sizes that are long enough to protect the whole model. I try to be consistent with the same vehicle types. I use magnetic basing, so they work for me, and I prefer how everything retains the correct scale. But a lot of FoW act with utter revulsion at the idea of based vehicles.

    For Team Yankee I ended up using the 60x40mm bases for the medium sized vehicles (M113s) and a larger custom size for the MBTs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The idea is indeed using the magnets, infantry and guns are very easy to store and transport, when sticking magneting sheet on the bottom and using steel vinyl sheet on to bottom of the box, but tanks are more difficult. Using foams takes so much space. I might try with similar mdf bases and base all my vehicles at some point.

      Delete
    2. I get my bases for tanks from Warbases and getting to cut 5mm holes in that then hold 5mm magnets . Job done

      Delete
  3. Nice rolling stock Jamie. I love seeing the Cromwells and Challengers rather than the ubiquitous Sherman’s. Also great to see the DDs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent start of this year's journey. I totally understand how you feel! After finishing the previous Challenge in march 2023, I only grabbed again a brush in December coinciding with the new edition; no mojo the rest of the year (although I printed some models with my 3D during the summer) ... may this be a long term collateral effect of COVID perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  5. these look great, look forward to playing with them

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking AFV’s James. I too enjoy seeing the Challenger and Cromwells. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to see the Fort Gary Horse on review. Terrific brushwork James. That is a regiment from Winnipeg, which many of our Challengers call home (Greg, Sarah, Dallas, MikeF, Frederick, DaveV and Byron).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really like the style of painting for these tanks they really pop and are eye catching, great post

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some great work here and the bases help them pop. I guess the debate of whether to base vehicles has been won here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent looking allied armour!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. superb work on those tanks James

    ReplyDelete