Thursday 1 February 2024

From MartijnN: Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson [Famous Person] (86 points)

Having completed Section 1 of the Library we move on to Section 2 and ask Lady Sarah to drop us off at the Statue of a Famous person. Two, actually.

Once again two figures I bought on a whim and do not expect to use anytime soon. I was browsing the site of CP models because I wanted to buy some spears, saw that they also produce figures and threw some in that I fancied, mainly to beef up  the order a little. And once again the Challenge came to the rescue. Thus, I have for you Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson.


They are nice, simple figures that were fun to paint, again using mainly contrast paints.

And then I have a follow on of last week's post. I really thought I had completed the Union forces for Champion Hill, and only when drawing them all up for the post did I realize that I was a Union unit short. So, I started digging through my stash of opportunity and unearthed enough Perrin figures for not one, but even two units. So here they are.


For some reason my bases always show up very yellow, but they are a lot greener in real life. I prefer these rather simple bases for small scale figures. They are  a bit old-fashioned perhaps, but effective. The flags are from Pendraken and from the Warflag.com website. And yes, I have been cutting corners here. I consider painting black belts on dark blue coats at this scale a waste of time, and you really don't see it on the table. I did paint them on officers and drummers, but even in the close up photo's that's hard to discern. 

I had also not yet painted a figure to represent General Grant. Turner Miniatures produce numerous STL files for the ACW that I had purchased long ago, and I had printed some generals in 10mm. So here we have Grant with some staff officers, ready to take on Pemberton at Champion Hill.


I also found a covered ox-drawn wagon, which I painted at the same time. I have added some crates and sacks from Perfect Six Miniatures. They are formally 6mm, but I thought they complemented the wagon nicely.


That means that I can now play the Altar of Freedom Champion Hill scenario. I do have some odds and ends left, I found another Confederate unit, I have some casualty markers and the like, but nothing really essential. Actually quite unusual for me (being the proverbial butterfly), and rather a nice feeling, to finish a project!

As for books (apart from the obvious recommendation to read all  Sherlock Holmes stories. Twice at least). Dr. Watson suffered his wound during the Second Afghan War, but honestly I have never read a book about that one (yet). So something else suitably Victorian will have to do. That is A Tidy Little War by William Wright, about the British invasion of Egypt in 1882. I have this as an e-book, so here's a random stock photo:

I enjoyed reading this. The conflict is, as might be imagined, not very well known over here (if at all), so I knew next to nothing about it. Wright writes a good overview of the war, with ample attention to the Egyptian side, and a healthy criticism of British colonial policy which blatantly disregarded any rights the Egyptians thought they might have had, without going all woke about it. A very balanced book I thought, with the right level of detail. Combine it with the Osprey Campaign about Tel El-Kebir and you have a nice summary of the conflict.

The map:

Score:

2x 25mm foot @ 5 = 10

40x 10mm foot @ 1 = 40

3x 10mm horse @ 2 = 6

1x 10mm vehicle = 6

2x 10mm crew at 0,5 (50%, as they are only half painted) =1

Famous Person bonus = 20

Total of 83 points

TeemuL: Isn't it nice to add something to a finished army? :) Good work finding those missing minis and some extras from your archives of unpainted minis. And the command stand is excellent, the blues and browns work well together here, good job. Two units, a command and a wagon to your Union forces, to finish a project again! I hope they do well in their first and following battles.

And 10mm cavalry is 3 points, so couple of points added to the total.

30 comments:

  1. Great to see a finished project and fine work on Holmes and Watson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing like a "finished army" in this hobby, sorry to say... you always find some nice thing to add to the unit supposedly completed. Nice painting work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Benito, I know... Still have lots of artillery to paint (but not necessary for Champion Hill), dismounted cavalry, HQ's... And then there is always the next, bigger scenario!

      Delete
  3. Holmes and Dr watson look good as do your Union units, sounds like a good book on the Egyptian campaign, surely if you're going to read one Conan Doyle book it will be the adventures of Gerard? Napoleonic hussars and it's still funny!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain! I don't know that one, must check it out. Mind you, Conan Doyle did end up pretty bonkers towards the end of its life...

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on finishing the project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Martin! The ACW never ceases to fascinate me.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on completing your ACW project, Martijn! That must be a fabulous feeling for you and I'm proud that the Challenge has a small part in bringing it to fruition.

    Great book recommendation too. Oddly enough the Egypt Campaign has a small Canadian connection as well. When British General Wolseley was ordered to rescue Gordon, he requested approximately 300 Canadian boatmen for the expedition. Known as the “Nile Voyageurs,” these experienced rivermen handled the wooden whaling boats that transported troops up the Nile River to Khartoum. The Nile Expedition (14 September 1884 to 17 April 1885) was the first time Canadians were involved in an international military mission.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now where do you learn that 😂😂

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Curt! That's a fascinating little anecdote, again something learned today!

      Delete
  7. Excellent wee union troops, super they complete your force. Holmes and Watson great stuff as well

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful work, congrats on completing an army, love these wee acw figures

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work on such a small scale.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post - pretty sure there will be a few posts using Sherlock and Watson figures over the challenge! Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great and its always good to see a project being completed - makes the rest of us jealous

    ReplyDelete
  12. AOF is a great rule set .. enjoy your game .. nice finish to get you there

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on completing your troops MartijnN

    ReplyDelete