Thursday 1 February 2024

From GeoffreyT: The west wing of the library (Art and Nature, 95 points)

 Hello Challengers.

This week I move through the west wing of the library.  In the Art section I peruse some medieval art.

I am very excited about this weeks post, as both these sets of miniatures appeal to me quite a lot.

These sculpts I made were inspired by Liber Monstrorum, ‘the book on monsters’ a medieval text, and by medieval marginalia, pictures drawn in the margins of illuminated books.  

First we have three examples inspired from medieval marginalia including two snail men and a devil using an arse trumpet.  These are all in 28mm.  There is much conjecture about the meaning of some medieval marginalia so I dare not suggest the meaning.  Snail men and arse trumpets are common themes, along with rabbits killing knights.




Next we have creatures from Liber Monstrorum.  I have two Sciapods one standing and one shading himself with his foot, as they were reputed to do.  One Blemmaye stands impassively.  I first read about Sciapods in 'Voyage of the Dawntreader' by CS Lewis, the series of books that sparked my life-long enthusiasm for fantasy monster art and miniatures.  



On the Nature shelf I find four elementals, animated forces of nature; Earth, Air, Fire and Water.  They also have a brazier from which the fire elemental can be summoned.  They are 28mm models from Grenadier models, sometime in the 1980s.  They are very evocative sculpts and are reminiscent of the drawings on the margins of old maps.  There is supposed to be a bowl of water with this set too, but the pack was broken open in store and the bowl lost.



The library Map as of current status

For points:

11 x 28mm miniatures = 55 points

They are all different sizes, so I did some measuring and recalculating and still end up with 55 points, so is easier for the spreadsheet to just call them all 28's.

2 x library sections = 40 points

Total = 95 points.

Kind regards

Geoff.

From Millsy: What a wonderfully eclectic and characterful collection of miniatures Geoff! I'm particularly impressed by the medieval weirdness, especially the Blemmaye which is one of those things that just makes you shake your head. Averaging everything out to equivalents of 28mm makes good sense and with the two library visits that's a creditable 95 points added to your tally. Nice!


12 comments:

  1. Those "marginal monsters" are great, good job sculpting them and then painting. Very nice and imaginative, almost inspiring. The old elementals look good, too, I first thought you have sculted them, but not this time. Very characterful. The cobblestone bases crown these, something to bump into on a dark alley or in a dungeon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ,Interesting post and great painting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are awesome. I love the arse trumpet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So that’s how it’s done! I always fall over when I try to shade myself with my foot. Some very fine miniatures and nice background for a very creative take on the theme. Good job Geoff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent work Geoff. A very interesting post on these medieval monsters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow love these home scuplts and the medieval marginalia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the devil must qualify as amongst the most unusual figures I've ever seen - superb painting

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very unique and interesting figures. Well painted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do enjoy seeing your sculpts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Arse trumpets FTW! Love your sculpts, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for comments. Some of the sculpts were a bit tricky, as in where do you put a Sciapods butt-hole, and is a blemmayes genitals on its chin?. hard to say, but they seems to come out OK. The devil with the trumpet has a cheeky grin, that hasnt come up in the photo.

    ReplyDelete