Thursday 1 February 2024

From BruceR: Zulu (88 points)

Greetings on Thorsday, kept in line by Teemu and his delightful culinary Finnish descriptions. 

I find myself done with my FIW project, due to starting some units prior to the challenge, and not being prepared for the next. Oh well, always plenty of opportunity in the game cave.

I started a Zulu themed project two challenges ago and decided to grab them up again.  We intend to try The Men Who Would be Kings for this project and see how it goes. From the previous start I have 18 Zulus and 12 Brit’s. A friend has the bulk of the forces and is a long way back in the painting line for him. I’ll have to get enough done to try out some games. 

I pulled a bag of what I believe are married warriors from their hair. They are 15mm and from Old Glory 15’s. The first hurdle is the shields, not attached and getting them on is a slight chore. As I’m using sabo bases we are basing the figures individually. I’m used to painting 28mm and usually like to do 8-10 figures to be able to accomplish little victories. I decided to paint the 39 figures together and it went pretty smoothly. I base coated them in ebony flesh with the airbrush. I than blocked in the colors, gave them a wash of Riekland flesh, highlighted skin and shields, done (with some basing work). 

Overhead of the whole group


half the group

backsides

how they look on the bases

Points:

39 15mm foot @ 2 =  78 points

Total 78 points

A new and strange phenomenon.  I primed outside yesterday.  What you say?  The northern prairie saw above 50 (F) degrees.  Doggo got a walk as well.  Be well.

Bruce

TeemuL: 39 minis in batch is worthfile task, even in 15mm world. So you had 18 before and now have 39 more? What size is the individual base? Nevertheless, they look great on sabot bases, not too tight or not too spread out. I'll give you ten extra points for the hand painted shields, that seem appropiate regarding the size of them. You seem to be quite close to your points target, but don't let that stop you! I haven't primed outside yet, but luckily I have a corner in a semi-warm garage, where I can prime and varnish.

11 comments:

  1. Those are great looking 15mm figures. Always helps when you can use an airbrush or rattle can for your base colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work, Bruce! Nice skin tones and the shields are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work on these Zulu (the Zulu?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made a fine assegai of yourself Bruce, great looking Zulus. I'll second Martijn's kudos on the shields and skin tones. We've had similar weather and I wish we didn't, would like some snow and decent temperatures for skiing. We've had both but not at the same time and a mid-winter melt isn't helpful. However, I will be raining outside too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous looking Zulus, Bruce. Your skintones and shieldwork are top shelf stuff. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cracking set of minis Bruce, love the skin tones and the shields are so good

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work on these Zulus. I think you need an exclamation mark on your title though(!) 😉

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great painting on iconic Zulu's - makes me want to watch the movie again! Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice figures and quality painting there Bruce

    ReplyDelete