Wednesday 7 February 2024

From JamieM - Moonstone and Necromunda, natural bedfellows….. (190 points)

Gosh it’s been a while since my last post. Classic story of getting a bunch of things 90% done and then the basing that I had planned out just didn’t work at all like I thought it would….. so instead of being a grown up and working out how to change it, I instead decided to sulk, throw myself on the floor and roll around whinging until it magically fixed itself and worked like it had in my head instead of how it did in reality.

Funnily enough, it didn’t fix itself, so I did carry on with some other things and I think I have the basing plan sorted now, so that stuff should be in my next post. As it is, I’m going to start with some of the other stuff I did.  My first batch is for the entry area with a “Fantasy” offering, some delightful Moonstone figures. These figures are amazing and are just great fun to paint (apologies for the photos, I couldn’t find my light box batteries….. maybe they were knocked off the table when I had my basing related tantrum?)

They consist of a limited edition version of Diana, Queen or the Faeries. As far as I know, the story goes that the faeries were all messing about a bit too much and went so far, so Diana went berserk. As faeries are all magical, their anger can really lead to some fun times, hence the swirling magic energy. I managed to drop the model at one point, but thankfully only one of the magical bolts broke and disappeared into the carpet, so I got very lucky indeed…..

The second of the bunch is the Jackalope. A huge bunny rabbit. You’ve seen a couple of these painted previously in challenges I think, so I decided to make mine a black and white rabbit. Pulling up some images on google, I tried to match it as best I could.

Third of the bunch is Friar. He’s a slightly dodgy looking holy man who hits people with his club. And has a golden codpiece, so that probably tells you something about his chief motivations in life…..

Next up is my necromunda gang. My club is starting a necromunda campaign and I’ve never actually played necromunda, despite being old enough to remember when it started out as a game called “confrontation” and it had the rules printed monthly in white dwarf!

Looking at all the gangs, I was drawn to Cawdor….. they’re religious nut jobs who try to overwhelm their opponents with waves of poorly trained fighters with such wonderful weapons as Blunderpoles (a blunderbuss strapped to a halberd) and giant crossbows.



My leader has a Great sword. Not a good sword, a greatsword. He plans to use it to encourage people towards the one true faith.


Others wield grenade launchers and the aforementioned blunderpoles and a giant crossbow. The unwashed masses just have a gun and their unswerving faith to see them through the terror of the underhive.


And now for something a little different…… as I’m planning to play in the campaign I wanted to contribute some scenery. I’ve had really some really big boats from ttcombat sitting about for ages after I bought them in a rush of excitement one day. They were originally sail boat things with two masts and were for carnevale/pirate games. But I decided to take the masts off a couple of them and convert them to something that might well prowl the seas under the hive.



I started by sticking corrugated cardboard all the way around them to disguise the windows and fancy stylings. I then added more rivets that was healthy and stuck all sorts of gubbins on them from my collection of GW spares.



The first one I envisage as a fishing vessel, although quite what swims in the vast sumps under the hive is probably best left unseen….. still, the hivers must eat somehow I suppose. I left harpoons and things strewn around the deck as I didn’t want to get in the way of using it as a gaming piece.

The second one I made more generic. Both have funnels made from the GW WH40K pipe set that they produce. They’re magnetised for ease of transport/survivability once in contact with gamers.

They’re big old boats, being 22 inches long and 6 inches wide. 6 inches tall at the back bit (Stern? Port? Aft?) and so are around two 6” cubes each. I’d also like to claim them as “maritime” now I’ve entered the main lobby area as they trawl the underhive seas…..

I take my own advice in that “more is more” when weathering and I’ve gone a little overboard (geddit?) with them, but I figure the underhive will create more than a little rust and wear.

In summary then

3 moonstone figures plus 11 necromunda gangers are 14 x 28mm figures for 70 points

4 cubes of terrain at 80 points

Fantasy and Maritime bonuses for 40

Total 190

****

Well, now THAT is an interesting assortment Jamie! What an entertaining bunch...from tantrums, to golden codpieces, to primitive guns on sticks, and swords that are GREAT, to the totally nuts conversion of these ships!

Fine work all around - that is 190 points for you!

I'm going to return to my own tantrum, hoping that if I thrash on the floor enough times, that Plains of Abraham project will re-start...

GregB

11 comments:

  1. Wow, what a fabulous entry Jamie. I think your tantrum may have totally paid off mate. Love the spotted Jackalope and your ragamuffin Cawdor gang (esp the loon with the windlass crowsbow). And the boats. Wow, essentially sewage boats - crazy. The corrugated hull is genius. Love it. Terrific job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those boats definitely look appropriate for trawling through the sewers of the hive. Good work all around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant boats - great idea .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent work on the boats! Very inspiring! And I like the jackalope, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those boats look awesome. Love a bit of Necromunda. My first purchase from a GW store was a Cawdor gang!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool stuff! Great Moonstone figures, but really like the boats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like what you did with those boats- that is great work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant set of figures Jamie vibrant colors on the first three then you go a little grunge darken the tones very nice as well as the ship love those to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's inspirational Jamie - the ships are stunning but I really do love that Friar

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great stuff Jamie, looking the gang and the ships

    ReplyDelete