Saturday 9 March 2024

From SylvainR: Tray 10 - 6mm Early WW2 German Armored Vehicles (54 points)

It's only a little tray this week, but, as you will see later, it's a big step in my WW2-6mm project. These are early WW2 German armored vehicles, namely a few armored cars and a company of Pz35(t) tanks. All the models are from GHQ.


First, let's take a look at the smaller armored cars, five Sd.Kfz 221, an early design armed only with a machine gun. You will note that the ground work is greener and darker than what I used to do so far for the French and Allies minors. My initial plan was to make all the terrain identical on the bases for a given theater, then add a specific color to the side of the 2mm thick base to distinguish the nations (ha ha, what was I thinking). Well, play testing with my desert armies immediately showed that this was far from a good enough visual clue. So when came the time to work on early WW2 armies, I decided to emphasize the differences between armies by using two different kinds of flock: a lighter one for the Allies and a darker one for the Axis. It seems to work well. I added "balkenkreuze" on the side of the vehicles, but they are barely visible.



Next, we have four Sd.Kfz 231 (6 rad) and 3 Sd.Kfz 232 (6 rad) with the easily recognizable antennae over the roof. Even if the documents show that the "8 rad" version had much better cross-country performances, I really like the look of the "6 rad". Its shape is so evocative of early WW2. GHQ provides photo-etched antennae with their miniatures, that you "simply" need to cut, fold and glue into position (not mentioning that you have to drill tiny holes on the hulls). Let's say that this whole process helped me refresh French swear words that have not been used much lately.



The last fifteen models are Pz35(t), "borrowed" from Czechoslovakia by the Wehrmacht. I already had a company, but a second one was needed to complete a battalion. Note in the third photo, below, how I tried to simulate "movement" within the company. You see the tank before crossing the stone wall, on top, then clearing the rubble. After a few drinks, this special effect becomes unbelievably realistic.



When this army was donated to me, 95% of the miniatures were already painted, so I spent the summer of 2023 putting them on bases. I had to buy only a few additional miniatures to complete the army, which I am presenting to you today. This gives me 13 trays, which I will consolidate later, after the Challenge is over.


I now have completed not only another army but also another "theater". I was able to accomplish quite a lot during this year's Challenge!


Points claimed:

- 27x 6mm vehicles at 2 points each = 54 points

Total = 54 points

This will also count towards the "Really Little Guys" duel.

Thanks for reading!

Wow Sylvain, the work you've put into these models really shows. I just love the groundwork, you don't even see that level of detail on most 15mm or 20mm models. The vehicles crossing the dry stone walls are especially impressive. The details on the gravel roads are superb as well. 

54 points added to your tally!

Dallas

9 comments:

  1. Excellent work. I cringed at the thought of adding those antennae to 6mm armoured cars. I like the stop action knocking over the stone wall basing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work, Sylvain, the animation is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great little project, love the look of the armoured cars even in 6mm. Well done on completing an army/theatre

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking minis Sylvain!! I'm really impressed by your project and the planning you've put into it. Your tray system is inspirational! 😀

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff love early war grey

    ReplyDelete
  6. great work as always on your 10mm, I really like them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent work. The basing is superb.

    ReplyDelete