Saturday 22 December 2018

From BillA - Undead for a Dark Night (20 points)

Tonight being the winter solstice - the longest, darkest night of the year, and one on which some might claim the veil between this world and the next is thinnest, I thought it fitting to open up my participation in this year's Painting Challenge with a quartet of undead from Reaper which I'd bought and primed back in September but hadn't gotten around to. 

First up is Reaper DHL#02224, "Armored Zombie," sculpted by Bob Ridolfi and originally released some time around 1998, I think:



Next, Reaper DHL#02104, "Plague Zombie," again by the talented Mr. Ridolfi and probably originating around the same time as the Armored Zombie.



Next, DHL#02157, "Undead Awakening," another Ridolfi sculpt (what can I say, I'm a huge fan of Bob Ridolfi's undead figures.  Somehow he can put a ton of character into a bare skull!).  This figure was packed with a separate tombstone which is in my bits box for a later time. 



Finally, DHL#02105, "Labella DeMornay," in this instance listed solely as a wraith but that name will later be applied to a number of miniatures specified as Banshees by Reaper.  She was given a heavy drybrush of Reaper's new "Spectral White" (which has a slightly purple tinge to it) over a black basecoat, given an all-over wash of Citadel "Drakenhof Nightshade," a dark blue ink, and once that was dry I began building up layers of "Druchii Violet" wash, giving the bottoms of her sleeves and her robes from about the waist down darker and darker layers of purple as I got closer to the base.  I then gave the top half of her another drybrushing of Spectral White, lightening my brush strokes as I got into the purple areas. 



I have no idea what I'm going to use these figures for yet, though all would be useful in Frostgrave, certainly, and the zombies might find a home as well in my undead Dragon Rampant army. 

Four 28mm figures should give put me on the board with 20 points. 

__________________________________________

Great work Bill! 

The zombies are all terrific (that armoured fellow has an especially Old Skool look about him), but I think the Banshee is my favourite of the batch. I like the purple to 'fright white' effect you've done on her - nice looking effect.

These four nasties will give you 20 points for your climb up the points roster. Well done!

14 comments:

  1. Nice work. The zombies look great, but the wraith is awesome. The effect you've achieved works really well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work Bill, especially on Labella :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work, I like the purples.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! Tip top stuff on the Undead. Some terrific colouring touches on display with this foursome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice work here, I especially like the armoured guy, the blue and purples work well on him, great colour choices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work on these guys. It’s always great to see the family skeletons come out of the closet for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work Bill! A nice start to the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really like the undead, Bill! The color choice is spot on! I too have just discovered that nightshade wash, it's very good for Crimson Fist blue!

    ReplyDelete