Saturday 22 December 2018

From StuartL: Getting started on my mountain of unpainted minis (55 Points)


My first entry for this challenge is a set of 5 figures for my monthly Dungeons and Dragons game. From left to right we have a Werewolf, a strange Serpent-like creature, a Dire Snake, A Galeb Duhr and a Demonic Bug.


To be honest, I chose these models because they all looked like they would be quick and easy to paint and I wanted to have something finished on the first day of the challenge. Most of the work was just a simple base-coat, wash, drybrush technique, which I find works well for most creatures.


With the Demonic Bug, I based the colours on the Asian Giant Hornet or Suzumebachi , which is a fairly scary bug in and of itself. 








In addition to the fantasy models, I also painted up 6 old models from the VOID range. I've had these for nearly 20 years now, so I figured that I should try to get them out of the way. 



The models are done in Vallejo Black Grey with a Black wash and then a drybrush of the original colour. The tops of the models were also given a second drybrush with a Basalt Grey/Black Grey mix to add some highlights. 


I'm not sure what I will be using these for, but they'll do for generic SF troopers for some future project I guess. 





And that's my very first entry for the AHPC. In all they took me about 6 hours to do last night, plus a bit of time this morning to add flock and tufts to the bases. None of them were particularly complex, but they look good enough for gaming and that is fine I think.

By my count that's 11 28mm scale figures for the challenge count and it should be enough for 2 points for the Squirrel Duel.


_________________________________________


What a great opening gambit, Stuart. Welcome to the Challenge!

This is a nice mix of figures. I suspect the five beasties will be useful additions to your D&D 'monster reserve'.  I have a soft spot for werewolves and that fella looks suitably ferocious (very dynamic pose). What make are these figures? 

I find your second group a little nostalgic as I have a bunch of VOID stuff sitting in bare metal that is about the same vintage. Funny, I remember them blowing our minds as they were so cutting edge in design when they were first released. Still, they hold up very well after all these years. The panzer grey armour is a good choice for them. 

These two groups will give you 55 points to start your climb to your target. Well done Stuart!

13 comments:

  1. 4 of the fantasy minis are from the Reaper Bones range. The 'Galeb Duhr' stone creature is a re-paint from the official D&D pre-painted range from about 10 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice start to your 1st challenge. Welcome on board

    ReplyDelete
  3. A cracking first entry for your first Challenge there Stuart! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good way to start your first challenge. Welcome aboard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific start, Stuart. Big fan of the old "Void" figures, and you've done some sterling work on them. Welcome to the AHPC :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great start with some old Skool looking D&D figures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice varied mix of figures!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice beginning, Stuart! As much as I like the dungeon dwellers, I really like those void figures! Never did get any, I really regret that now. Those are really smashing in gray!

    ReplyDelete