Tuesday 22 January 2019

From KenR - 28mm Italian Wars Gendarme 2 (65 points)


Busy boy this week, this is my second submission today. I set a target of one unit of Cavalry a week and it's been a great driver to keep the output going. Here we have my second unit of Gendarme (this challenge) for my 28mm Italian Wars Project.


As with the previous unit, these are Foundry Miniatures with the lovely addition of a couple of Petes Flags from eBay.


The unit is representative of Pier Orsini (1523 -1583) a Condottiero from the later part of the Italian Wars. Orsini inherited the duchy of Bomarzo seven years after the death of his father, mostly thanks to an intercession by Alessandro Cardinal Farnese (the future Pope Paul III). He later married Alessandro's relative Giulia Farnese.


As with my previous unit I have taken cues for the dress and livery of the figures from the design of the flags.

6 x 28mm Cavalry at 10 points each and a couple for the flags should give me 62 points for both the main total and the Renaissance Side Duel, which with the points from the Pike Block is a reet grand haul.


It would be rude not to include a group shot of the Gendarme to date for the Challenge (above) and for the entire Project (below).





This is the project that keeps on giving. These look spectacular and combined with the rest of the Gendarme that is one formidable and utterly spectacular unit. I love looking at a good cavalry unit, it's just a pity I'm such a rubbish cavalry commander when I play. My ability to wipe out my own mounted troops is fast becoming legendary. To do so with such a well-painted unit would be as close to blasphemy as a wargamer can get. 
Sixty points for the figures, two for the flags and I'm rounding up and awarding another three for the quality bringing this up to 65 Points. 
Lee

46 comments:

  1. One unit of cavalry per week! Holy cow!

    These continue to look really, really amazing, and the whole lot of them looks tremendous...what a cool unit! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A unit of cavalry a week? That‘d drive me crazy for sure. But you‘ve managed admirably.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, as I said to Greg above, a unit is only 6 figures and I did paint all the horses (minus furniture) in one day at the start of the challenge.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic looking gendarmes, lovely work!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bloody hell. More of them! Great stuff, Ken!

    Do you have Julius II waiting in the wings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Evan, the one thing I am missing is Command figs, Perry do three plus some Cardinal Types, still looking for others

      Delete
    2. Don't worry,it looks like you'll be getting at least one from me at the end of this challenge at the rate your going!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. Holy crap again! Those are gorgeous Ken! Love the commanders history. I wonder how ugly the popes niece was - I’ll help you regain your title if you take Guilia off our hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I remember correctly, Guilia Farnaise was a bit of a catch, so he may well have fell on his feet !

      Delete
  6. Really beautiful unit, and pretty threatening (or threateningly pretty), too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noel, no steel pikes on this unit, so heath and safety wise they are a lot less threatening than the Pike Block 😁

      Delete
  7. Another gorgeous unit from your very talented brush Ken!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous work Ken. I am stunned by your productivity and your sweet paint jobs! Another cavalry unit? You’re going to have a couple of amazing armies to play with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom, being off work has helped a lot with the output this year.

      Delete
  9. Really nice! The banners really make these extra special. cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, the flags are great, no army of the period should be without Petes Flags 👍

      Delete
  10. T-riffic work Ken. They do look the biz!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow Ken these look extraordinarily good, the banners are splendid too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Sander, the banners do really add to the unit.

      Delete
  12. And I thought the pikemen were good. Absolutely top drawer Ken!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another great addition to a fantastic project. The painting is marvellous. I really like these figures and the paint scheme, you must do an overview picture when you're done! Looking forward to the next instalment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, don't worry there will definitely be an end of term photo or two when we are done 👍

      Delete