Tuesday 26 February 2019

From TamsinP - 28mm Early WW2 Aussies (152 points)



This should be my first submission for this week (Hint to Lee - "Make it so!") and sees a return to my early WW2 Australians. To bulk out the Warlord and Artizan metal figures for the AIF force, I bought a pack of warlords plastic 8th Army figures, so these chaps all have helmets. Of course, they have since released their Commonwealth pack which has heads with slouch hats - I do have a sprue which came with the recent Wargames Illustrated and they will be assembled and painted after the Challenge.

My big issue with the figures was that some of the both-arms parts don't seem to fit properly on all the torsos. This led to some gaps appearing after they'd been glued. Me rushing through the assembly probably didn't help.

Anyway, here are some slightly closer pictures of each 10-man section:






I'm not sure why, but I didn't enjoy painting these as much as I did the metals. I also made a bit of a boo-boo this morning - I forgot to matte varnish them before adding tufts to the bases! I clearly wasn't fully awake.

For scoring, that's 30 x 28mm foot = 150 points.



These are gorgeous, despite the problems you had with them. Not every build goes to plan and thus we learn...usually to drink more coffee! Most of my most notable 'varnishing mistakes' have been the result of sleep deprivation. Trust me, caffeine fixes everything! Although that being said, it can't make up for the satisfying heft of a metal figure over a plastic. 

I'm adding a couple of bonus points simply because I like these, despite your tribulations. Nice work Tamsin. 
Lee

14 comments:

  1. They look good, Tamsin.
    I keep hearing people are varnishing before adding the tufts, but I have had no problems doing it other way round. I'm using spray varnish, first gloss, then matte. Mine look good, but I'm known to make wrong decisions...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice, Tamsin. I've had the same problem with the two double arms - I think there's a small "perfect" position, but it's difficult to spot. Also, spray varnish after tufts can help secure the tufts, I think. Never had a problem doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great brushwork Tamsin. I'm with you in often not feeling the love for assembling/painting plastics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Tamsin. And I am very impressed with anyone who can make a go of Warlord's WW2 28mm plastics...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look great Tamsin! While I do some plastics here and there I prefer metal so can relate.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great diggers Tamsin. I love the variety of poses you can get with plastics, but have had similar two arm part issues.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work. Normally I am a huge fan of plastics as I like building model kits. However, the new Warlord kits have issues like you say. Getting some of the arms to fit is impossible, or they only fit one body. What is even more annoying is that Warlord keep changing the sizes of their torsos, so you can't kitbash sets together, which IMHO is the best part of having plastic kits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Lee - thanks! I had had coffee - just not enough, obviously :)

    @ Teemu - cheers! It's not a problem, just not the way Inormally do it :)

    @ Ken - thanks! :)

    @ Iain - cheers! :)

    @ Noel - thanks! My tufts are quite secure :)

    @ Martin C - cheers! :)

    @ Curt - thanks! These are the first plastics [aside from tanks] that I've painted in a few years :)

    @ Greg - cheers! My first time with Warlord plastics - not that impressed :)

    @ Fran - thanks! :)

    @ Christopher - cheers! I'm not sure what it is, but metals are just more satisfying to paint for some reason :)

    @ Peter D - thanks! :)

    @ Stuart L - cheers! The fit (or lack of) was annoying with these :)

    @ Brendon - thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete