Tuesday 26 February 2019

From KenR - 1/2400 Italian Pre Dreadnoughts (72 Points)


Something a bit different this week, on the back of my "water feature" entry I caught the Naval Bug again and painted these up, they were lying around after a friend left them at my house just in case I felt like doing them.


The ships are from a Company called Tumbling Dice and are 1/2400 in scale, the Leeds club I belong to are having a bit of a club project on the pre WW1 period at the moment. Still under treatment following Project Jutland I am not taking part but was volunteered by my friend to paint these up.


The ships are metal and come in 2 or 3 pieces and have then been placed on MDF bases. I have then used filler to sculpt a sea scape around the model at which stage the model is primed and then painted. The flat tab is for my friend Ian to add a name tag.


The models are quite nicely detailed, not GHQ standards but still very nice, they work well with my painting style. They are painted in the colours of the Italian Navy from around 1905, black hull, white uppers with Ochre masts and stacks.


Size wise they are slightly bigger than a 28mm foot figure and about half the size of the Baden model I did for the bonus round. There are 18 ships in total so at a 28mm foot rate that would be 90 points but it's up to the Grand Minion to decide.


Hopefully there will be an Italian Wars Cavalry unit by the end of the day, I'm relying on basing material drying in time, if not it will have to be two next week 😉



Oh, a judging headache, goodie! I've gone back through the challenge to see how other Minions have scored 1/2400th scale ships and the general consensus seems to be 3 points each, with a point up or down depending on size, complexity and basing. It's not a precise science but it seems to be relatively consistent so I'm going with "what they said"! I'm going to score each ship as three points but with an extra point each for the excellent textured basing, bringing this lot to 72 Points. 
Lee

19 comments:

  1. Great work Ken. I am not a naval afficianado at all, but I must say there is a sort of stately, classy look to the pre-WW1 naval warships. And I am always amazed at how the naval painting/gaming folks pull off the water look on the bases. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg, Naval Models are definitely my comfort zone

      Delete
  2. Great looking pre dreadnoughts!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely ships Ken, I always have had a soft spot for this era. You had the naval geek trying to figure out what ships you have. I think I see some Re Umberyo and di Laurianne’s class battleships, a raffle of elswick cruisers and some torpedo gunboats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, I should have written down what they were but they have gone off to their new home.

      Delete
  4. What a marvelous looking fleet. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice, they do look like luxury liners with gun turrets.

    ReplyDelete