Tuesday 12 March 2019

From SanderS - Indian Mutiny (233 points)

Hoi,

Just like the lad, I am feverishly painting stuff to reach my points target. Today's entry will be as close as I will get to a "points-bomb" this Challenge I think. Anyway, I was honoured to be chosen as a Minion last year and I learned that if you want to gain points fast you need to paint 28mm figures in regiments or more clearly in uniforms you can batch paint. Now I still have loads of projects on the unpainted pile that suite that bill like my Indian Mutiny figures. So I got at it and here's the result.



Let me explain that I started this project with Sharpe Practice as rule-set in mind hence the basing on sabbot bases with small units of 8 men each. It wasn't till much later that I realized I could use these for Black Powder as well at a pinch. So here are two British regiments of Foot and an artillery piece, most of them are Mutineer Miniatures with some Wargames Foundry stuff thrown in for diversity's sake.

The 32nd Regiment of Foot:



The 90th Light Infantry



I really like the 3 figures below:


A RFA piece with crew. These are Foundry figures which are basically for their China Expedition range but in time not too far off the mark.



Next up are 3 units for the Mutineers:




You will have noticed there are no tufts on the bases and no banner on the Indian standard pole, well I simply ran out of suitably coloured tufts and foolishly only ordered British banners from Iron Duke miniatures... dang will have to rectify that soon.

Pointswise these 44 foot figures (at 5 points each) and a gun (10 points) should be worth 230 points, but I could be wrong.

Cheers Sander




Good to hear there's a little child/parent rivalry going on in your household. If it keeps entries like these coming, I'm all for it! I need to read a little more as my knowledge of the Indian Mutiny is sorely lacking. Having said that I still love these minis and the colour palette you have used on them. As you may have noticed I have a thing for Artillery and I really like this gun team. 

As for running out of basic supplies, like the right colour tufts, that's something of an occupational hazard during the Challenge. I've had to make several panicked restock orders myself this year (thank crunchie for the Internet!). I'm awarding some extra points for these for the overall quality of the entry. 
Lee

22 comments:

  1. Very nice work Sander :)

    There is another way of racking up points quickly - be an idiot like me; I seem to have developed systems for churning out large numbers of non-uniformed troops very quickly. Funnily enough, it seems to take me just as long to paint uniformed troops, perhaps because I take more care to keep them "uniform".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not an idiot just very talented! If I had but more time...

      Delete
  2. Lovely looking subcontinental troops,I really like the artillery piece!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice work Sander, I do love the colonials. Those Foundry figures are 20= years old but still wonderful sculpts. And you're bang on using the China expedition uniforms, IIRC some units were redirected en route to Hong Kong and sent to to India instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I've read that somewhere Peter, but thanks for the confirmation as for the Foundry figures: they really are very crisp and well sculpted indeed!

      Delete
  4. Great work Sander! I really like those 90th infantry figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, my photography s really bad, it shows these off less well than they are in real life, but they are my favourites in the bunch too. The uniform is taken straight out of an Osprey but I believe them to be disputed ;-)

      Delete
  5. That's a fine looking force Sander, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Coming for the Colonial Commander in Chief that's high praise indeed!

      Delete
  7. Great looking figures, I like the somewhat ragtag appearance of the mutineers.

    ReplyDelete