Saturday 21 December 2019

Challenge Island Safari Journal - 21st December

Welcome, welcome.

It's good to see so many smiling faces as we welcome our new guests on the Challenge Island Safari Tour, or C.I.S.T for short. I hope to see all of you again at the end of the tour.

As we explore the island, please make sure to keep your maps up to date. I would strongly advise against getting lost. The natives of the island aren't always the most hospitable types when they see a lone tourist wandering around by themselves. There is even talk of a new group of pirates who have made landfall on the far side of the island.

You are currently standing at Docherty's Dock, named for a famous, or rather infamous Major. From this rather safe port of entry to the island, you'll have access to the untamed interior, following the unfortunately named Path of the Forgotten.

Of course, the island is quite large and walking around can be quite tiring, so we recommend that any C.I.S.T.ers that want to take the load off try one of our officially approved and certified Camels. These animals have been trained to carry tourists around the island and back again.



Should you encounter any trouble along the way, never fear, camels are excellent runners and will have you back to camp safe and sound in no time at all.


Yes, many a traveller on the island has had their life saved due to the diligence, speed, and on one occasion the nutritional value of our magnificent ships of the desert. At this stage our lawyers have instructed me to inform you that trying to sail away from the island on said ship of the desert will void your warranty.



Well, that brings me to the end of our brief orientation. Please feel free to explore the dock further and make sure to stock up on sunscreen and gator repellent before proceeding inland.



I believe the model is from Black Tree Design, though I bought it ages ago and can't be sure. 

I guess the camel and handler will count as a cavalry model, so that will be 10 points, plus 30 bonus points for clearing a location on the map, for a nice 40 points and my first step towards my target.

_________________________________________


Haha! What a terrific first entry Stuart. I really like that camel and porter all festooned with assorted stowage - they certainly look the part for a tropical island safari! I think Dave will be quite pleased with these chaps.

40 points for you, Stuart. Now, I wonder if it will it be Cooke's Crevase or Sarah's Balloon for your next adventure?

-Curt



20 comments:

  1. Nice ship of the desert, suitably laden for the safari ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's important to have the essentials when travelling off the beaten path. :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely looking baggage camel!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for the rough guide to Challenge island. nice camel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay tuned, there is more to come. I'm going to try to keep all of my posts in the same style.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks. That was the most fun I have ever had painting a camel. Mind you, it was the first camel I have ever painted.

      Delete
  5. Fine looking ship of the desert! Good luck on your safari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, looking at what is coming up on my painting desk, I'll need all the good luck I can get.

      Delete
  6. It’s not a Challenge until the camels have been sighted!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great camel. Just don't add a straw to that baggage!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work Stuart, I'm in the middle of painting up his twin brother!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work its not a challenge untill we see camels.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grand brushwork on the camel, Stuart! I like the colors on the packages and the basework....I feel the baggage is missing some army transport cases and paint boxes! ;)

    ReplyDelete