Saturday 21 December 2019

From BenitoM: Ferocious Gauls (20 points)

My initial shot (or better said, javelin throw) in the Challenge this year. I have painted four Gaul warriors to complete my first Barbarian unit (10 models).


The models are some pretty old Wargames Foundry for the mid-80s, that I decided to repaint again entirely after unearthing them from an old forgotten box stored in my parents’ house. 


The incredible colours I chose to paint at that time (orange, yellows, bright greens) did hurt my eyes when I looked at them again after 30 years, hence my decision to remove the old paint layers and give them a fresh start
The full unit is presented here with his Warrior leader (that movement tray needs some work)


This is not exactly in the area of my core project for the Challenge (a WWII German early war army), but since I was invited to play test Infamy Infamy by the Lard Island Junta’s supremo Richard Clarke, has deviated my course (slightly only) from my initial core project plan.
For those of you not in the loop, Infamy Infamy is a skirmish set of rules in the ancient period. The focus will be in the early Imperial Roman period but some supplements are already in the design table (or at least the designer's mind) covering the Civil Wars and until the Punic Wars.
This entry should bag my first 20 points (four 28mm models x 5 points each) in the Challenge. More coming over the next hours     


_____________________________________


Brilliant (and fast) work Benito! I have several of these early Foundry castings as well, painted with early enthusiasm and perhaps questionable ability. These chaps of yours are excellent, completing that fierce looking unit of Gauls (I especially like that leader with his chequered trews). I believe I'm in the Infamy playlist group as well, so I expect that a few Romans and Barbarians will be trooping across my table over the coming months.

-Curt

18 comments:

  1. Lovely looking bunch of celts! It would have been nice to see a before and after with the garish colours you describe!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did also think about it... but late, when the paint was already removed

      Delete
  2. Great looking Gauls, you knocked them out quick, like Iain would have liked to see a before and after shot, but great none the less

    ReplyDelete
  3. Infamy, Infamy, They've all got it in for me!
    Your Gauls look superb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Gauls! I may have to strip down some of my early 80s figures for a redo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOTE: I used fingernails paint remover from my local discount supermarket. Cheap and effective. Some of the models were painted with acrylics and the paint peeled away on its own. But some were painted with Humbrol enamels, and these required some additional work with an old toothbrush

      Delete
  5. Fabulous work Benito! I love those patterned tunics, something I'm too intimidated to try myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How can anyone have the gall to have it in for you? Excellent patterning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice Gauls sir, I'm looking forwards to picking up Infamy!, Infamy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice Gauls - the Romans should be quaking in their sandals

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look very "striking"-pun intended! Wonderful work, Benito! The shields and flesh tones are grand, but the extra effort on the chequered patterns really sets them off well!

    ReplyDelete