Saturday 21 December 2019

From DaveS: Things that Go Bump (10 points)


Happy to be here for my second go at the Challenge.  I had a real blast last time, and this time I am hoping to push through my total last year.

These are two Scarecrows from the Nightstalkers faction for Mantic's Vanguard.  They come as multi-part models, and went together nicely, with relatively few mold lines.  This is almost the opposite of some of their other models in the range, which I have found to be made in a less good plastic, and they have awful problems with casting and mold lines.  I keep thinking about the idea of building an army for Kings of War, and then I think of the problems I have had with some of their models and deciding against it.  But these models might have almost convinced me to go for it after Christmas, and after some of my other projects have had some work done.



The models themselves are initially painted with GW Nihilakh Oxide over a white undercoat. This gave a good skin cover.  I then painted the heads in a range of Vallejo Model Colour oranges.  Finally, some simple tones on the clothes washed with Agrax Earthshade.



____________________________

Welcome back to the Challenge Dave! These guys are wonderfully creepy and I really like that punchy oxide colour you used for them. How many would you need for a decent sized unit in Kings of War? One thing for sure they would look quite striking on the tabletop.

10 points for your debut on the Challenge roster. Well done!

17 comments:

  1. Creepy, very creepy. Cool start

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting looking sculpt. Your colour scheme is eye-catching to say the least. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suitably scary! The orange pumpkin heads (almost reminding me of Dixon miniatures) work well with the blueish skin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant work using the oxide for the skintone - proper ghostly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work, love the shade of blue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely stuff, good job I saw this in the morning, may not have slept if I saw it before bedtime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the kind comments. I don't play Kings of War at the moment, so I don't know how many I would need for a unit, but they are sold around 40 to a box, so I would imagine that would be the largest unit size...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo these are very creepy! Nice work!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these gribbly horrors! Unit size for scarecrows is 20 (regiment), 40 (horde) or 60 (legion) - although the rule of cool is to fill the base if you're multibasing. I'm planning on a few nightstalkers for this challenge - hope to make them as creepy as these guys.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are wonderful, Dave! I like the creepy blue skin as it contrasts nice with the orange pumpkin heads. I did playtest Vanguard at Adepticon and guys enjoyed it so much they did buy several forces. It is a fun quick game.

    ReplyDelete